Tried universal deluxe in box sparrow trap...but

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi everyone,
I tried the "in box" sparrow trap and nothing. I placed it in the compartment after moving the nest to the side. I even put some grass and straw on the porch...nothing. They were curious but neither entered. Now they moved to another compartment and started nest building all over again. I removed the trap. I removed the nest tray from the new compartment and left their new nest material. They are building as I write. Any suggestions? I have 3 active martin nest in the same house. I don't want to endanger them by frustrating the male sparrow. I want to trap the sparrows. Should I wait until they are finished building? Should I wait until eggs are laid? I just don't have the experience to know what to do. Any suggestions please let me know. I am desperate.
Brent
white-out

I had to resort to shooting after the trapping failed miserably. Not sure if that is an option, but bought a CZ 457 with a scope and they are gone. I had a gourd trap that was just like you said, instal and they just moved to the next compartment. They are pretty smart birds for sure. Good luck
brent

Guns are not an option at this time. Thank you for your reply. Any one else have experience with these traps? Help!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Brent,
I agree with your plan to let the HOSP finish their nest, lay eggs and then set up the trap in their compartment with some of their nesting material and the eggs inside the trap.
Make the HOSP dedicate to one compartment with either eggs or young nestlings.
Do not destroy the HOSP nest and expect the HOSP to move onto another location to nest. Your concern about Male HOSP Revenge Syndrome is well founded.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
brent

Ok. Going to give it a try. In the mean time I set my repeating bait trap near the house. I put soft cotton nest material and bread. Hope that that will attract them to the trap. Thank you.