Deluxe Universal HOSP trap

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
brent

Hi all,
I never had to use my "in nest box" HOSP trap until now. Today a pair began building a nest after I tried countless attempts to scare them away. I have 3 active martin nests in the same house. I do not want to cause the male sparrow to harm the martin nestlings. My plan is to remove the nest tray ( since the trap will not fit with it in) and keep their nest material in the compartment. Let them build one more day then set the trap. What do y'all think?

Brent
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Brent,
Excellent plan. Add a piece of grass sticking out of the entrance and that will make the male sparrow want to investigate if a rival male sparrow has tried to take over his compartment. Add a few down feather from any bird inside the trap and both the female and male HOSP will have to go into the trap to figure out what is going on in their compartment.
Restrict the opening to 1 3/8" opening and then a martin cannot enter.
Make sure to trap the female and especially the male HOSP.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.