Interesting behavoir of single pair

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
philsand

A mature male arrived the first of June and eventually attracted a very immature female.
He worked extremely hard for a few days. She sat on the perch for hours. He could not get her to stay at night so they roosted elsewhere. She did briefly check out his gourd a few times, for mating purposes I imagine.
Then one night she stayed very late on the perch. When it was all most totally dark (there was a little light from a street light) she went to his gourd and quickly flew away. She repeated that three times. Then finally she flew to the gourd and entered for the night. What a drama! From that day until now she is behaving normally.

They are now incubating eggs. I have a purple martin decoy mounted on a perch arm. The male, in his boredom, has started a game of "dive bombing" the decoy. He will swoop down and just barely miss the decoy, circle around and swoop again on the way to the power line. Once he did that 6 times in a row. He still occasionally does it.
philsand

Eggs hatched today for this single pair. The male has intensified his dive bomb runs on the decoy. He must feel threatened. :???:
Peter Alberda
Martin Colony History: Started with Amish copy of Trendsetter 12 room house, added Trio Grandpa with expanded rooms, and North Star 8. Taking Trendsetter down this spring and adding gourd rack.

I think I would take the decoy down. If obviously bothers him a lot and why add all this stress to his life.
2020 - A pair of SY birds with three nice chicks. Lots of visitors all year long.
2015-2019 - A few lookers.
2014 - ASY male and SY female fledged four chicks.
2013 - Several visitors but none stayed to nest.
2012 - Lots of visitors all season long. We had a pair of sys but no chicks survived.
2011 - New location - A few visitors
2010 - First year – Poor house location.
philsand

Thanks, I did. He was using way too much energy.
philsand

Success. Two fledged. This is the second night they brought them both home to roost. One has been able to enter the round hole gourd only after struggling 3 or 4 minutes. This makes me wonder how fledglings can manage a SREH entrance. The other one never would even land on a gourd. Both adults chased it all around. The male knocked it to the ground once. It rested a few moments and became airborne again. The parents finally gave up and went into a gourd. I watched on my camera screen until dark. It must have roosted in a tree. This morning all four of them were on the line.
philsand

It is dark now. I found the errant one. Instead of entering the round hole gourd, it perched on the top porch of one of the gourds that has the two-porch-with-rods owl guards. There may be an advantage. An owl could trap it in a gourd. Where it is, it has several escape routes.