The Babe lives

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Diane Porter

Six years waiting. This year, the seventh year, two pairs attempted nesting. The SY couple laid one egg, which did not hatch and eventually vanished. I think they're still hanging about the gourd rack and going in and out of gourds from time to time.

An ASY pair laid 5 eggs. Of those, 4 hatched. Of the 4 nestlings, three vanished by the fourth day.

The last nestling is the slender thread from which our hopes hang. The parents are guarding him, never leaving the gourd unattended. When SY males land on the porch, they can't get in, because one of the adults is in there with The Babe.

The Babe is 9 days old today. He gaped when I looked in on him. As I did so, the father perched on the top bar with an insect in his mouth. He stayed there while I raised the rack, and he fed The Babe.

I'm starting to breathe again.
Attachments
Babe.JPG
Babe.JPG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Diane Porter
Fairfield, Iowa
flmike

Ms Porter, that’s a mighty nice lookin’ bird you’ve got there!
brent

Hi Diane,

Oh so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I wanted to let you know, too, that the little one that was found on the ground here did survive. He ate as many crickets, June beetles and dragon flies I could feed him and after about 5 days I put him in a nest of chicks that were ready to fledge. Sure enough he was adopted and fledged. I think I see him every now and then. Keep us posted on the little one.

Brent
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Good to hear. Poor lil fella has many obstacles in his path over the next few months. It's amazing how in just a few more weeks he'll be in South America (if all goes well). Amazing stuff in nature.
Ladybug
Martin Colony History: 2005-2019. Lots lookers, 2 successful nesting's.
2010- 1 pair nested,eggs destroyed(Wren).
2012- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2019- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged.

Diane::
The little one looks very healthy. Thanks for the pic. Today is the first time I checked the PM nest since June 6, had 4 eggs then. Now we have 5 healthy looking little ones. From your photo, I'd guess ours are 10-11 days old, the adult parents are kept very busy feeding them.
Good Luck to you.
Joanne