Early evening greatness

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

At last nest check I have 12 pairs this year and out of the 12 I have 9-10 gourds fledging all week long. So, needless to say, there's been a lot of aerial activity due to the fledglings. However, this evening it was extraordinary. In the 6 years I've been hosting, I've never seen as many Martins in my airspace as I have seen tonight. I tried to count them but easily gave up as it was impossible. As I gazed across the sky I saw Martins at many different altitudes high and low. I had Martins landing on the gourd rack as many as 15 at a time just carrying on, going in and out of gourds, chasing each other around etc. While these 15 are on the rack, there are many, many more in the sky. The noise was crazy with all of them calling and chatting it up.

It is at this point that I feel great satisfaction and success of being a landlord.

I hope to have final fledging numbers late next week. I think I have two young nests that have recently hatched but can't check them with all the babies ready to fly out so I'll wait until the last known baby takes flight. If these two have hatched, it will be a total of 14 pairs.

Thank you all for the help and support over the years as my colony's success is a product of your knowledge and expertise.

Coolwhips
BillieJR

I'm so happy for you! I can only imagine your joy. :)
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Mike Mack

Congrats on the colony whips. After a days work it is very relaxing just to kick back watch them, and take it all in.
johncanfield

I had a huge smile on my face this morning when I noticed a flock of maybe 25 or 30 Martins flying all around in formation :) Not sure if this was composed of my eight pairs of adults or just some from another area. I have never seen that many Martins, what fun.
John
JJ Ranch
Texas Hill Country