Hawk took a martin

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hunters357

Yesterday I witnessed a hawk attack and fly off with one of my martins. Not sure if it was a male or female.
My question is will the remaining martin of the pair still care for the young martins? Again not sure if the male or female is still with us.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

The remaining partner will still care for the baby martins.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Hunters357

Dave Duit wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 am
The remaining partner will still care for the baby martins.
Thank You for the reply.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

You are welcome. If you ever get bored you are more than welcome to visit my website for the Iowa Puprle Martin Organization at www.iamartin.org
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

Hunter,

I apologize for asking the obvious but do you have martin decoys strategically place in your colony? 9 times out of 10 the hawk will go for the slowest bird and those are usually the decoys that are just sitting there. I've not lost a Martin this year by using decoys.

Just thought I'd ask.

Coolwhips
ron20m

I wondered the same thing when I found a dead adult male in with #5 5 day old babies. One went missing or was eliminated but the other 4 are fat and happy and a day or two from fledging.
I am pleased.