15 eggs on ground in 3 days

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jpp77
Martin Colony History: 2015 - 1 pair, not successful (Sparrows)
2016 - 1 pair, 4 young
2017 - 5 pair, 23 young
2018 - 8 pair, 40 young, two deaths most likely due to heat.
2019 - 18 pair, 74 eggs, 1 nest abandoned, all the rest successful.
2020 - 32 nests, unknown exact egg numbers, 1 death.

I always have a few eggs on the ground throughout the year that were probably deemed "bad eggs" by Martins. This is way more than normal though. All in the same vicinity of one of my racks. Have had a lot of Martins fighting this year. More so than normal. No sparrows or starlings around to speak of. Wondering if I've got a mad subadult without a mate. No other explanation.
Mike Mack

That many in one area would make me say starling. Seams like they get a little more aggressive this time in the season exspecially if you have few vacancies. Watched one empty out a nest and a half in less than a minuet. Every time i think I've got em all here comes one or two more. Thats my take on it. Good luck.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

You can try to candle them using a flashlight & see if they are good or bad. Could be they are not good & the parents tossed them out. If they are good I'd guess SY males at work. If they are good put them back in nests & wait to see if they hatch.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
jpp77
Martin Colony History: 2015 - 1 pair, not successful (Sparrows)
2016 - 1 pair, 4 young
2017 - 5 pair, 23 young
2018 - 8 pair, 40 young, two deaths most likely due to heat.
2019 - 18 pair, 74 eggs, 1 nest abandoned, all the rest successful.
2020 - 32 nests, unknown exact egg numbers, 1 death.

I have Starling resistant entrances. Eggs have all been cracked in half. Was sitting outside this evening and saw a male sparrow land on gourd rack for the first time in about 2 weeks. Let’s just say he isn’t with us anymore. Maybe that will take care of it