Still Frustrated

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
glfriend

I met up with the house a mile away to see the colony of PM's. He is not engaged in the full duties of a landlord. He had a lot of gourds setup and he is hoping I can get a PM. He & I discussed my next move. I purchased the gourd starter pole & six gourds & after the long rain we had...put that sucker in the ground. even more open than my T-14, which still has a vacancy sign up. I reloaded the gourds with nesting material, hung some decoys, & still had the Dawn Song going. Within a day I had a visitor checking out a few gourds. Not real sure but it could be a subadult male...at first I thought female. Comes in the morning & comes by around 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon. It skipped a day but returned the next day flying around & landing on the top perch. Doesn't appear to be real serious....probably a little late?
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Hey grlfriend looks like I'm in the same boat as you. Weather been horrendous this year. Relocated my 3 poles. 1 sk house. 1 sk red barn w 6 B09 gourds below it and 1 pole w 6 B11+ gourds and no PMs even been seen. 6 decoys and songs played for about 2 weeks before the 12 inch rains here all last week. HS killed. Now have pair of tree swallows nesting in SK Barn w B09 below it. I figured oh well I'm fine with that as at least ill watch something this year. BB took up in stand alone SK house but relocated to stand alone BB house I put up before rains. Crap weather all this week too. Been a really bad weather spring here w freezing temps in early May and torrential rains afterwards. I believe weather wise a horrible year to try and start colony. Its been like living in Seatle this entire month (3 days of Sun). Good weather on the horizon June 1. Going to put up dedicated tree swallow nest in my 10 acre field away from PM housing this summer (5-6) dedicated on steel pole 6x5 swallow nest boxes. Maybe next year for me but I've decided to enjoy the 5 or 6 tree swallows that circle overhead daily now and the Blue Birds that are 20 yards from house. You may still get something this year but I would think the weather has been about as bad as it could be for this species in May 2020 in my parts of SW VA. Best of luck!
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Jones4381 you should use the tree swallow protocol set up a Gourd on a shepherds pole on either side of you set up about 30 feet away and let the tree swallows nest in them and they will keep other TS from trying to use your setup. Never let TS or any other bird nest in your PM Dedicated housing. Good luck this season.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

jhcox wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 am
Jones4381 you should use the tree swallow protocol set up a Gourd on a shepherds pole on either side of you set up about 30 feet away and let the tree swallows nest in them and they will keep other TS from trying to use your setup. Never let TS or any other bird nest in your PM Dedicated housing. Good luck this season.
thanks but gave up on Martin's this year. Ill build some boxes for the TS as mentioned above for next year. They too are a migratory bird that is in the same predicament as Martin's I just have more TS around here so I decided to enjoy them for the season instead of watching empty boxes and killing sparrows, anyway too late as I have 2 building nest in the barn and the male(s) have been fertilizing them the past 3 days each morning (guess I have a 2 pair of TS's I'll enjoy the next month. Thanks for advice but the TS prefer boxes 6x5 or 5x5 about 5-6 foot off the ground with round opening 1 1/4 and no perch on opening (I'll just build them as they are hard to find as retailers on sell BB and PM housing. All will be fine I predict and may end up with plentiful blue birds TS and PMs in a few years. I have a great field for TS so 6 boxes about 100-150 feet apart in middle of field will work nicely soon. Problem is hardly no one makes TS boxes and I really don't like the look of single gourds. Boxes on 8 foot pole better looking imo. Ty again.

Update...Shot another HOSP that was hoping around chirping on the gourds underneath the SK Barn. Splash 2 (sorry watched Top Gun last night).
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
glfriend

I too have some TS but I have put up some separate housing away from PM housing. I do keep them out of my PM gourds by disrupting their nests as I dodge their swoops onto my head. I asked the guy with all the PM's to trap one in the house I made him & bring over here.... :grin: