Brake Winch

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mark Scott
Martin Colony History: 2018 - Had 44 pairs and put out 100+ babies. 3-Super System 24’s. 2019 - Had 48 pairs

What is the best brake winch on the market. I have tried several, they are either hard to crank or jerk bad.Have the Super System 24 with 24 gourds on it
2018 - 44 pairs, produced 100+ babies. Using 3 Super System 24’s.
rrmartins

I switched to a 5/8 hex drive and use a cordless drill to use it. No more cranking or worrying about brake holding.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Brad Biddle

rrmartins wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:41 pm
I switched to a 5/8 hex drive and use a cordless drill to use it. No more cranking or worrying about brake holding.
How long does it take to let a rack down with that? Did you change over to a worm gear winch?
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
rrmartins

Works very fast, yes it’s a worm gear. I’ve got it on my T14 for fours years now, put a little grease on the gears twice a year and it works great. It also comes with a crank handle if needed. I do have a 1/2 electric drill for backup, so far 18v Dewalt doing the job. I cut the end off a cheap 3/8 drive extension for the drill and a 5/8 socket for the winch. Good luck!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Brad Biddle

rrmartins wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 pm
Works very fast, yes it’s a worm gear. I’ve got it on my T14 for fours years now, put a little grease on the gears twice a year and it works great. It also comes with a crank handle if needed. I do have a 1/2 electric drill for backup, so far 18v Dewalt doing the job. I cut the end off a cheap 3/8 drive extension for the drill and a 5/8 socket for the winch. Good luck!!!
Can you post the exact one you got or at least tell me what the gear ratio is? I looked online and found 20:1 and 40:1.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
rrmartins

Dutton Lainson WG1500.
I just pulled this winch up and on Amazon it doesn’t show it having the 5/8 drive on it. Be sure to look at that before purchase, it’s a 5/8, worm gear, hex drive that you want.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Brad Biddle

rrmartins wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Dutton Lainson WG1500.
I just pulled this winch up and on Amazon it doesn’t show it having the 5/8 drive on it. Be sure to look at that before purchase, it’s a 5/8, worm gear, hex drive that you want.
I'm going a different route on the drive. There are winches made that have a loop on the end of them. With those, you use a 5' long extension in your drill that has a hook on the end of it. The hook goes in the loop and they lock together when the drill spins. Those worm gear winches have been used in commercial poultry houses for decades. That extension will allow me to stand well out from under the racks when I lower them, and that in itself will enable me to lower the closer to the ground to make checking them easier, not to mention safer. I have considered trying one for a long time but haven't. That's about to change.
rrmartins

Sounds good. My only concern is that it’s going to require more torque with that long of a extension, a electric drill or motor might be needed, not sure how heavy your rack is. Good luck with it, enjoy your Martins!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Brad Biddle

rrmartins wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm
Sounds good. My only concern is that it’s going to require more torque with that long of a extension, a electric drill or motor might be needed, not sure how heavy your rack is. Good luck with it, enjoy your Martins!!!
Thanks man, enjoy yours too. My racks run the full spectrum on weight, from light enough to raise and lower by hand, to heavy enough that it's a chore and everywhere in between. I will lose torque with the extension and if it comes down to it, I'll stand under them and lower them. The downside to that is having to crawl out from under them. That ain't as fun as it use to be.
rrmartins

No Sir, it’s not any fun at all on my knees and the thought of it knocking you out or killing you if it falls. I’ve often thought about using a 12v winch like used on a ATV. My housing sits about 12ft. off my back porch so I have easy, short access to power, I’m sure that may be a factor for some. Enjoy your day, stay safe!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged