Starting yesterday fighting is constant in this gourd..
Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 349
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:06 pm
- Location: Maurice River, Southern NJ
- Martin Colony History: Well established 90 cavity colony. Mostly plastic gourds with some custom cedar houses atop pilings out over the river. We live stream the activity on our website https://youtu.be/fvj6V0X70G8
We are on the Maurice River. The Maurice is brackish and tidal. It meets the Delaware bay about three miles down at East Point, NJ. The area is remote and consists of dense marshland and swamp. Dragonflies abound.
Swallows arrive in mid August and finish nesting mid July. There is a large annual roost in mid August upriver a few miles at Mauricetown.
- Posts: 1656
- Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:02 pm
- Location: Iowa / Nevada
- Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.
Thank you for the great video. Beautiful place to live. I always wanted to place a martin cam for live 24/7 video at my colony for our Iowa website. But, I was priced right out of the idea. I think it would offer good research into the Martin behaviors and hopefully, someday the data would improve the martin population across the US.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.