Little Martins and eggs.. and a bad SY male

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

One of my SY males has reduced a nest with 4 hatchlings down to two , but I think the mama and papa has him under control. He was really determined to break up that pair but things have calmed down quite a bit. Ive got two more nests with eggs scheduled to hatch any moment, so he may be causing more grief. Oddly enough he’s left another clutch of 4 alone.

One of the two other nests with eggs-

Nest 1-

Nest 2-

mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B09s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 - 12 Troyer Horizontals with tunnels, 6 S&K B09s and 12 B011s all with tunnels. 43 eggs - 36 fledged
2020 - Rack 1 - 6 B011s, Rack 2 - 24 B011s, and Rack 3 - 24 Troyer Horizontals. All gourds have tunnels, porches and crescent/Conley 11 entrances; racks have predator guards. 161 eggs - 88 fledged

dsonyay,
We worry about coons, snakes, hawks and owls but SY males may throw a lot more martins from the nests attempting to achieve male dominance than are eliminated by "expected" predators. Mother Nature is a mysterious, but wise woman.
2018, my first year, I first witnessed a martin carrying a "pinkie" from a B09 and dropping it to the ground. Whoa!
Seems evolutionary counterproductive. Although, young male lions, taking over a pride, kill the young of the previous dominate male. If not the same, this is still a similar behavior or function.
Things seem to smooth out for me in '19 and so far this season. Learned a lot from landlords on the forum. Increased gourds from 6 to 54, no SYs pitching young (perhaps because of more nesting spots) and the weather has held nicely. Alberto struck my first season and no bugs caused a lot of premature jumping, stress and mortality.
Looking to see 100 fledges this year compared to the 8 in '18. Hope your young renegade SY has calmed down and you have a productive season.
Happy Martining and Geaux Tigers.
Mike
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Thanks Mike—

Yeah, I dont plan to do anything , and just go with nature. I’m away from the house Mon-Thurs and usually arrive home but evening time on Thurs, so most things are forced to be left alone. I do worry a bit about wing entrapment and other things that would require my help while away, but nothing I can do about that.

I figure, at least they have plenty of nice housing and virtually HS and Starling free.
dsonyay

Well, the two survivors were found dead in their nest when I returned home after three days away. Not sure if the male SY did this or possibly a male HS. There is a male HS hanging around now and he placed little pieces of grass in three empty gourds.

And Good news, another batch of eggs hatched. 5 chicks. I have one more batch of eggs left to hatch. Right now I have two nests with hatchlings and one nest with eggs.

The mischievous male SY is still hanging around his little compartment below the wiped out nest.

No sign of the pair with the wiped out nest.
dsonyay

Spoke too soon!!!

this morning the pair that had their babes killed was back... As well as the male SY, who able to lure the female into his apartment. She popped into the compartment with him and seems to have settled on him,, the male ASY seems perplexed. Nature is harsh.

Gonna have a late batch of hatchlings with this pair