THUNK! OH NO!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

I was sitting in my living room, watching my Purple Martin house, and noticed a martin land, and go into one of the cavities. A few moments later, I watched him come out of the cavity and take flight....Flew right into one of my windows. I heard a loud “Thunk”, so I went outside. Saw a mark with feathers on my glass window, looked down and found him laying motionless on a little table I had outside. I was crushed. So I went inside to get a plastic bag, and came back out. I looked at him closely, and noticed his eyes were open, and he was breathing, but laid there on his back not moving. I thought maybe he had broken his neck but was still alive. My wife and daughter came out to look at it as well. We sat there looking at each other, wondering what to do. After a minute or two of just staring in disbelief, Mr. Martin rolled over, hopped up, and took off! Crisis avoided! Wish I would have thought to grab my phone and take a picture of him, as I was face to face with him. Just glad he is ok.
Brad Biddle

Sounds like a good reason to put some of the window treatments on there that are designed to prevent that
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Brad Biddle wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 pm
Sounds like a good reason to put some of the window treatments on there that are designed to prevent that
I’m not sure what you are referring to. Do you mind providing some more information on this?
Brad Biddle

Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Chris B

You could have gently picked up the bird, and holding it loosely in your hand stroked it's back with your thumb. You will feel the bird grasping your fingers with the claws. That stroking seems to soothe them. When they are ready, they will fly away, hopefully.

I hit a Kingbird with my truck near the house a few years ago. It was in the road flopping, so I picked it up, did the sootheing rub as I drove back to my yard. It flew out of my hand after a while.

There is a Kingbird that comes in every year now. It sits and watches me mow my grass airstrip while perched on a side marker. I have to think it is the same bird.

You can do jumpers the same way.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.