Bluebird problem

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dkaymon

I live in North Central Florida,and am a new in trying to attract martins (first year). When I first put up my martin house in February there was very little interest from martins. One or two would fly close by, inspect the house and fly away. Then bluebirds started to build in the house and I promptly removed their efforts for a nest. This went on for two to three weeks, then I read on the forum that I should place a bluebird house within about fifty feet from the martin house, which I did. I now have a nesting pair of bluebirds in the bluebird house. I also have several martins that are very interested in the martin house but the bluebirds perch on the martin house and fight with the martins as they try to land on the house. HELP! I repeatedly scare the bluebirds away but they immediately return to the perch.
brent

Be patient. If the Martins want to nest the Bluebirds won't stop them. I have a Bluebird pair nesting about 40 feet from my Martin houses. Have not had a problem. The Martins chase the Bluebirds away and the Bluebirds chase other birds away from their nest. All is good.
Black Jack

Bluebirds are submissive and will give in to the Martins if the Martins want to stay.
mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B09s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 - 12 Troyer Horizontals with tunnels, 6 S&K B09s and 12 B011s all with tunnels. 43 eggs - 36 fledged
2020 - Rack 1 - 6 B011s, Rack 2 - 24 B011s, and Rack 3 - 24 Troyer Horizontals. All gourds have tunnels, porches and crescent/Conley 11 entrances; racks have predator guards. 161 eggs - 88 fledged

Brent,
Nice post. All you folks out there please identify the bird you're worried about before taking action. Give native cavity nesting species a brake before wanting to get rid of them. Follow advice on the forum from experienced landlords and provide adjacent nesting spots for native cavity nesters. Starlings and house sparrows are the two birds that have crosshairs on their noggins or chests. They are bad news not only to martins but to all other native cavity nesters. Take whatever procedures you can to eliminate them. No mercy.
Mike
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

mifog,
Very good advice.
Mike "Bird" Wren