Kingbirds... fiesty little guys

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

I’ve got Kingbirds around. They’re probably nesting in the wooded area back behind my house. About 60 yards away. Lately, one of them has been perching on my gourd rack. He or she doesn’t seem to do anything but use it as a spot to look for bugs below. But now and then one of my martins takes a dive at him and they tangle up in a pretty good fight. I hope neither gets hurt. This morning a pair went to the ground behind my fence. When I was able to look over , both had flown off.

Those Kingbirds have a rugged looking beak, so its a bit concerning.
daveh

I have eastern kingbirds in my yard. pretty birds. Have never seen them fight with the martins. They ignore each other.

dave
PMCA member
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

daveh wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:39 pm
I have eastern kingbirds in my yard. pretty birds. Have never seen them fight with the martins. They ignore each other.

dave
They are very pretty and fun to watch them hover. I’ve never seen them mess with martins either, but the martins seem to like to start the tussle. Lol. I keep thinking “Hey guys, don’t go starting something you can’t finish”. (Those kingbirds are strong beaks)