Martins at the Assisted Living Center

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Two SuperGourd poles (12 gourds on each) at River Point Assisted Living Center.

My colony is at an Assisted Living Center. In past years, I did 3 presentations for the residents each year. Also, after each nest check, I recorded the results on a large white board so they could keep up with the martin's nest activity. The gourds can be seen from the dining room and the activity room.

Of course now, the Center is not allowing visitors. Obviously, I can't do any presentations or go inside to write on a white board. The residents eat meals in their rooms but have some access to the rest of the building.

We got around this access problem the same way many others are around the country....with technology. The Center requested that I write a weekly one page topic sheet about the martins. I sending it electronically as an attachment and the Center gives each interested resident a separate copy. They can reread it anytime they want. This weeks topic was eggs. This was the seventh sheet and other topics include migration, identification, predators, etc. Instead of the white board, I now send a spread sheet for the nest check results. It is a good option for a bad situation.

Today, I found 23 out of 24 gourds had eggs. The other gourd had a female looking out with her mate above on the owl guard. Looks like this year will be 100% occupancy. That's a first for me and I've been doing this for a while.
G Saner
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Gary, it's wonderful that you are caring for martins here to begin with, and what a good way to overcome the current restrictions. Twenty-three out of 24 gourds occupied and holding eggs is terrific! Thank you for doing this. I remember when you and your wife used to host a martin viewing event for her students at your home colony.
deancamp

Job well done! That's great that you have been able to adapt to the circumstances at hand. I can only imagine the joy that is given to the residents with your hard work and dedication. Keep up the good work.
white-out

You should be on the news instead of all these stars acting like life is hard.
I've been visiting an assisted living center regularly for over 3 years. I'm sure most residents fill many hours watching them.
Doing right by the residents and the martins....good at ya G. Saner.....
G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Two SuperGourd poles (12 gourds on each) at River Point Assisted Living Center.

Louise,

Thank you. Yes, you helped me a great deal when we started doing those presentations for my wife's elementary students. The residents love the martins and I needed a place for a colony as our new home did not attract martins. The site is a 10 as evidenced by the high occupancy. An added bonus is that the colony is on property my grandparents owned for decades.

Deancamp and white-out,

Thank you for your kind comments. The residents really enjoy watching the birds. When they were still eating in the dining room, I am told that there was competition to reserve the prime viewing chairs.
G Saner
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

well done Gary Saner! in the residents eyes your a rock star! 8)