What's the best hole to use

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Keith

From the ones I have used, the clinger entrance provides the desired outcome. The porce almost level with entrance is needed with any entrance in my opinion to keep Starlings out. Keith
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Keith,
How easy can the Clinger Plate be applied to a Trio House Door?
I would assume the round hole of an original Trio Door would have to be cut larger to accommodate the Clinger Plate. I know the Trio Door has to be enlarged to accept a Conley II Plate.
Conley II Plates are available through the PMCA Store. :) I cannot find Clinger Plates through the PMCA Store. :-(
Clinger Plates made of Sintra are available from S&K Manufacturing but are not easily found on their website.
As you have pointed out the Clinger Plate requires a porch flush with the bottom of the entrance to keep starlings out. Many people have pointed out the difficulty of porch elevators on Trio Doors and still allow the doors to open and close. I know how to apply porch elevators on a Trio Door but it is not easy.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
SSMartin

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm
SSMartin,
Can you give a closer picture of your Clinger entrance on a Troyer Horizontal Gourd?
Attachments
1E1E558F-2FE5-4E50-9635-0360C5927D81.jpeg
1E1E558F-2FE5-4E50-9635-0360C5927D81.jpeg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 341 times
SSMartin

It would be simple to do. Cut the new opening like a square all the way to the bottom of the door and enlarge it width wise. Then take the s&k clinger plate cut the excess bottom plastic off the plate and attach it to the door. Use your favorite adhesive. It should sit almost flush to the porch.

https://store.skmfg.com/mobile/Entrance ... ctinfo/EC/
Keith

I have modified some houses building tunnels with this entrance, The martins seem to love them and are successful in resisting the Starling. I will try and post picture.
Attachments
463B3E7F-3739-4631-AC3A-4CC317D0C5EC.jpeg
(416.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SSMartin

Keith that is a great looking modification. Nice work.
Keith

Hello Mark, some years back before I started using the Clinger, I modified a couple of Trios to larger compartments and had regular Crescent openings. I added material on the porch in front of each entrance to make it almost to entrance. Of course that door will not open but I just open the one at back of compartment for cleaning and inspection. And yes, this should work with clingers by enlarging that original hole. Keith
Matt F.

Those tunnels look really good on that Heath Keith.
I've always admired your housing modifications - they are top notch.
Keith

Thanks Matt, this house is 100% occupied this year. Never had any luck with this house before tunnels. If the hole in house is cut out a specific size, the tunnel attaches easily. I tried to post picture, but an L-bracket fastened to back of tunnel hooks up on inside of hole.