Finally!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Put up new house mid January. May 1st, 2020, I have some visitors. Hope they stay! My heart jumped out of my chest!
randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year 0 Martins
2019- Lots Lookers
2020- TBD

Great Looking house and looks like you got some action.

Good Luck.
2018-14 Gourds First Year 0 Martins
2019- 14 Gourds Lots Lookers
2020- 6 Gourds TBD
deancamp

BAM Tbird, first year and you got strong looking visitors. Keep doing what your doing and observe them to see if there is anything you might adjust. Keep us posted.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

..... Congratulations to you and your new arrivals.... Have a great season....

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:

PMCA Member
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

T-Bird wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am

Put up new house mid January. May 1st, 2020, I have some visitors. Hope they stay! My heart jumped out of my chest!
nice! Beautiful hose and great photo to tell the story. Looking forward to hearing daily updates. More photos too. Makes it easier to follow a good story!
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

T-Bird wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am

nice! Beautiful hose and great photo to tell the story. Looking forward to hearing daily updates. More photos too. Makes it easier to follow a good story!

Can others with more exp tell me if that's a SY bird and can you say male or female. I can't tell yet. I can recognize the decoy top left:-)
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

That greenery in the first pic looks like it’s right on top of the house, but in reality its about 25’ away.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I’m very excited, and hope they show back up tonight/tomorrow. :grin:
BillieJR

Hooray for you! How exciting! I hope they stay for you.

And I was surprised to see you have your pool ready to go already - when I realized you are in Texas - I am in Wisconsin and it'll be a month at least before we have our pool ready to go.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

Way to go T.

I've seen a lot of housing poolside and for some reason they are usually full. I think you have a great chance of having a pair or two this year then it will Multiply every year after that.

I'm sure you read my stories. 5 years in the making starting with a pair my 2nd year, two pair my third year, 4 pair my fourth year and this year I may end up with 10 to 15 pairs...maybe more when all the SY birds finally make it in. I have a lot of SY birds now.

Our area (Plano, McKinney) has a lot of Martins right now. More than I've seen in the last 5 years. I'm also seeing some poorly placed, empty housing which allows knowledgeable landlords like you and me to prosper.

Hope to see some updates as your birds continue to move into their new housing.

BillieJR - -

Pools in Texas are ready 24-7-365. :mrgreen:

Coolwhips.
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Whippy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm
Way to go T.

I've seen a lot of housing poolside and for some reason they are usually full. I think you have a great chance of having a pair or two this year then it will Multiply every year after that.

I'm sure you read my stories. 5 years in the making starting with a pair my 2nd year, two pair my third year, 4 pair my fourth year and this year I may end up with 10 to 15 pairs...maybe more when all the SY birds finally make it in. I have a lot of SY birds now.

Our area (Plano, McKinney) has a lot of Martins right now. More than I've seen in the last 5 years. I'm also seeing some poorly placed, empty housing which allows knowledgeable landlords like you and me to prosper.

Hope to see some updates as your birds continue to move into their new housing.

BillieJR - -

Pools in Texas are ready 24-7-365. :mrgreen:

Coolwhips.
It was the pine needles!
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

good luck T-bird hope they stay and get busy fast. my 1st pair of SY
have 4 babies within a month of moving in and second pair 1 egg so far in a little over
2 weeks 8)
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

I think they have decided to stay!
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Have you got the martins used to you yet?
By this time, I would have gone outside talking to the martins and gotten them used to me walking to within the closest corner of your pool's shallow end without flying away. While I talk to them, they chatter back at me.
By the middle of the season, I can get close enough that as long as they can see me they will not fly away.
By the time they are feeding their nestlings, I can be at the base of the pole and they will not fly away until I start lowering the house.

Point being, get your martins used to you and then your family and you can use your pool without worrying that you will disturb the martins.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

4th Gen Martin Fan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:13 pm
Have you got the martins used to you yet?
By this time, I would have gone outside talking to the martins and gotten them used to me walking to within the closest corner of your pool's shallow end without flying away. While I talk to them, they chatter back at me.
By the middle of the season, I can get close enough that as long as they can see me they will not fly away.
By the time they are feeding their nestlings, I can be at the base of the pole and they will not fly away until I start lowering the house.

Point being, get your martins used to you and then your family and you can use your pool without worrying that you will disturb the martins.
Hey Mark!

My whole family (including my dogs) were out in the backyard all weekend. Swimming, playing games, music playing, and making noise. I would look up and notice that 2-3 birds were constantly swirling around, dive bombing around the house. Since May 1, they have been around more and more. Tonight they came back around 7:00pm. After I had dinner, I went outside and sat nearby. I could hear a pair of them inside one of the cavities. I’m hoping Ill have some eggs soon! We will see!
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Still here!
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

That's a great start. Next step is to protect that investment and success with a predictor guard and some snake netting. People lose colonies every year to these predators. Have a great year.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.