New Member and New PM Follower

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Well the hook is set. Purchased 2 houses and set em up...been reading about these birds and listening to website information for 9 strait days. Keeping a Journal, wiping mud on the door, playing dawn song, oine straw in boxes,and watching the sky and boxes (12 unit and 16 unit...made one into an 8 and the other as well for more space. Killed 2 HOSP's this weekend. Had 2 SY's show up on different days (to new to know if it was SY or ASY TBH but it was exciting I have to admit). The first took a look and was gone last week as quick as it came, the second yesterday circled counterclockwise in slow motion 4 times around the boxes and then disappeared. Today has been quiet and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. Anyway I see where this can become an addiction. Set first house up Monday April 20th and the second Thursday April 23rd.... Thought I'd have a few PMs by now but reading about patience I get it. May not have much luck this year but going to be a good landlord here in the Roanoke VA area. Just thought I'd say high and hoping to get a pair this year.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

forgot pics
Attachments
IMG_3561.jpg
IMG_3561.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 321 times
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Hi jones and welcome . Looks like you have a nice open space there ,that’s what they like! If you already have birds around and looking ,well man that’s fast! There must be someone else around your area with martins also which is a good thing. Sometimes they come see housing and then may actually leave sometimes and find some company and end up coming back in a few days so be patient. It’s almost looking like you may be one of the lucky ones to put up housing and quickly receive birds,keep a watch who knows. So I gotta ask... is that pole in the middle of the picnic table? If so I hope it’s on through and in the ground. If a strong thunderstorm comes through it will blow over house table and all! However that is a cool concept I’ve not seen before. That would be cool to have birds over the patio. But is the pole through to in the ground ?
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: never mind.......I was optically eluded man !! I see it’s not. Just woke from a nap and had Blurry vision. But, your set up looks nice and open ,good luck .
Jones4381

Haha. I see what you mean. Yeah I didn't even catch that. It's between the house and some fruit trees about 50 feet from both. Yeah that's a cement area with deck and pool below. Hope they don't mind but as pools go lucky to use it 7 or 8 times a year. I'm a newbie and accidentally bought a bird house at Tractor supply not knowing the story about PMs. Really rich history and amazing creature. After a few days of research felt an obligation to help. When driving around the countryside I'm looking all over for gourds and houses now. Found a neighbor a mile or so away w 3 houses. Not going to say I know much about the birds after 8 days but enjoying the addiction as its part of my DNA and OCD. Asked the wife if I could drop 500 on a cool gourd set up and she insisted that I wait. Gotta get some birds as its eating me up inside. 20 acres and a 3/4 acre pond 200 yards away w about 10acres pasture.

I didn't realize it the last few years but when I bush hog I know now what those birds were that were humming along doing all those acrobatics gobbling up insects. Hope to be worthy landlord and learning daily. Next step is animal guards for coins and snakes. Plenty of cooper hawks and red tails in these parts so I may need something there. I expanded the rooms after reading about predators reaching in and getting a bird.

Thanks again for reply and my first conversation. I'm all in and a bit consumed by this. Either way ill be patient and keep watching the skies. The table has white pine needles pebbles and dirt on it as an offering. Hope they take up residence as food will be plentiful with the 17 year cicadia about to emerge.
deancamp

That's great to see a little traffic coming by your rental property so soon after setting it up. Like you said patience is a must for most people, but maybe you'll be lucky and not need them. Good luck and keep us posted. Those birds following you when you were brush hogging was most likely barn swallows. Martins usually feed way high in the sky.
Jones4381

deancamp wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm
That's great to see a little traffic coming by your rental property so soon after setting it up. Like you said patience is a must for most people, but maybe you'll be lucky and not need them. Good luck and keep us posted. Those birds following you when you were brush hogging was most likely barn swallows. Martins usually feed way high in the sky.
aww. I love learning. Ill post a pic as ill be hogging the field in a month. Thank you. Fastest dang birds I ever saw but you're correct they were no more than. 3 feet off the ground. Going to research them now. Have a nice 30x30 2 story barn. :-)
PMDavid

Eh jones ,ur welcome. Not to be a kill joy but I’m gonna guess those birds behind the bush hog could have been little small swallows and not martins. Next time you cut look close ,the swallows would have real white bellies and are considerably smaller than the martins. But it does look hopeful due to the ones you’ve seen at the houses,they may be back,and the SY’s (last years hatch) are getting into that area of the country.
Jones4381

PMDavid wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 pm
Eh jones ,ur welcome. Not to be a kill joy but I’m gonna guess those birds behind the bush hog could have been little small swallows and not martins. Next time you cut look close ,the swallows would have real white bellies and are considerably smaller than the martins. But it does look hopeful due to the ones you’ve seen at the houses,they may be back,and the SY’s (last years hatch) are getting into that area of the country.
Yes sir, I'm believing you folks are correct...Those little birds are fast...and enjoyed watching them while I was on the Kubota for 6 hours. Yeah I've been skywatching more in the last week than the previous 10 years I'm guessing. amazing so much activity up there in the sky. I've had a large red headed woodpecker flying over constantly this week with those big wings going whoosh whoosh whoosh..pretty cool stuff. I'll go back to reading others on this site and update with some photo's if I can if or when a PM shows up...nothing today but saw several in the sky 200-300 feet up. 4 swirled around and then out of site...It is fun and I'm sure much funner when they chose to hang out. Thanks again for the correction on the bushhogging.
flyin-lowe

At my old colony I never had martins follow the mower, it was always barn swallows and sometimes tree swallows. My current colony I will have martins, barn swallows and tree swallows buzzing around. To help with your ID the tree swallows have a snow white breast and are smaller then martins. The barn swallows have a more distinctive fork in their tail and their breast will have more color to them then the tree swallows. Some are whiter and others are almost an orange color. The easiest way to confirm if you have martins is the vocalization. They are the loudest of the group of swallows you will see in your area. If they are flying around your yard you will hear them and their distinctive song.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Jones4381

Ironically, after my blunder and being offered advise on what I most likely saw last year while mowing my field, 2 tree swallows showed up today. Male chasing female and obvious white bellies. That is indeed what I saw last year. Very small birds, awesome in their own right. At least I have those again this year. No PM sightings last 2 days with lone exception of one flapping and diving a half mile off up in the sky. Patience patience.

Strong southerly wind blowing rain in w cool temps next 2 days here in VA. Don't know if that helps my cause or hurts it?