Fledglings in Louisiana.....??

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

So I have this co worker and we got to talkin martins today. She lives on a farm and has had martins for years. She told me today that there were adult martins pulling fledglings outa the nests yesterday to make em fly. Seems awful early to me . I just dont see how from arrival ,to hang out time,to nest building a few weeks,to egg laying for day 5 days,to brooding time,to fledge how that time line fits . So then I come home today and without a doubt,no doubt....have four new arrival SY’s trying to get everywhere they don’t belong and being run out by the current tenants and they were also taking up in the trios whereas not a bird has give em a look so far this year,they are all in gourds. I attempted to explain it was probably SY’s but she wouldn’t have it and was very convinced what she had seen was adults removing fledglings. So.... Louisiana landlords and Texans ,what was going on and is it too early for fledglings here in central Louisiana? I personal beleive it’s too early,all opinions wanted please.
Last edited by PMDavid on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deancamp

David, I think you hit it, ASY's pulling SY's out of the nest they have already claimed. I've never heard of the adults pulling the fledglings out of their nest. Mjfog just posted a day ago about his progress and half of his eggs aren't hatched yet and he lives in Palm City, FL. I checked the map and that is further South than Tampa on the Eastern shore. I would suggest she does a nest check and report back to you.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Exactly dean,I also looked at his post and he just now has pinkies and still has eggs. Dsonya also just now how eggs. My birds have been nesting and just now have begun lay and set. She lives as the crow flies about three to five mile from me so geographically for our arrival,nest set,raise and fledge times I didn’t think so. Thanks for your reply.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

The pair of SY and a male Sy are what I have left over from 6 Martins which
I first saw at my house April 3rd. The pair have 4 eggs which should start
hatching this Friday. I thought that was quick. I guess these ambitious
Martins want to make more young. The other male SY got himself a
girlfriend SY a week after arriving on 4/3 and this past Sunday showed
a nest with some leaves and 1 green. I am about 100 miles south of Tampa.
SSMartin

I have one nest that’s about a week from fledge. One easy way to prove the point is fledglings have the distinctive calls they make to communicate with their parents/call for food.
Brad Biddle

I've been seeing HOSP and Starling fledglings here for a week or more, so I wouldn't discount having Martin fledglings in LA. I haven't done a nest check yet but I may have nestlings. My earliest pairs started building nests nearly 5 weeks ago.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.