Frustrated PM Landlord Looking for Tenants

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
glfriend

The area to the right is "wide open" no trees for over 125 feet. My area makes the area I visited yesterday look like a landing strip (but they have all of the PM's). One question regarding the crescent open doors. I was thinking about replacing two of the round hole doors with two crescent doors to match the guards and just in case the starlings show up . What do u think. I'm struggling to get u a google screen shot
glfriend

The area to the right is "wide open" no trees for over 125 feet. My area makes the area I visited yesterday look like a landing strip (but they have all of the PM's). One question regarding the crescent open doors. I was thinking about replacing two of the round hole doors with two crescent doors to match the guards and just in case the starlings show up . What do u think. I'm struggling to get u a google screen shot

OOPS I double sent
glfriend

Here is PM house the white X
glfriend

looks like attachment flew away...:)
glfriend

One more try on map .....the white dot in field is PM house
Attachments
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
(287.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
deancamp

Martins will tolerate a lot more, less than ideal conditions at an established site, such as trees to close and pressure from starlings and sparrows. Looking at the google map, I think your best spot is about straight across your yard from where it is and to the left of your house. That gives you the most open flyways. I hope others will give their opinions as well. I don't think the crescent openings would hurt anything. My colony started with the Conley ll sreh openings. They struggled at first, but figured it out and stayed. If your neighbor has unfilled nests, it might be hard for you to pull birds away from there until he is almost full up. Martins like other Martins.
glfriend

All of you have been so helpful......I will play the dawn song ...watch the starlings...add the crescent doors. Pray for overflow from the other colony. Of course once they hear I will be a great landlord and take care of their babies.....I'm sure they will come!!
Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Three SY males seen in 10 years.

Been trying for 10 years here so dont give up. With a colony a mile away you should get them soon if you make a few changes. My closest colony is 27 miles so you're in good shape stay positive, it gets frustrating but dont let it bother you.

So I think you're too close to that tree as well. That Google map shot is great. I'd move the house 40 feet left so then you're the same distance between the large trees and that small tree close to road on left side of pic, in that open area of cut grass. I'd honestly consider moving the Martin house to the road side (front) of the house. That island between your driveway and road is super clear but I understand you probably want the house in the backyard.

I think that tree 25 feet away is killing your chances.

After 10 years I resorted to everything. Play the dawnsong starting as early as you can and run it most of the day if you can. It's your ticket. You should be able to point the speaker at that colony 1 mile away and turn it up and have birds there within minutes for a peak. I remember reading a guys story here where he could point dawnsong at his closest colony that was 10 miles away and if he cranked the volume he could get a martin to show up at his house in minutes. Amazing. 10 miles in the right wind.

I'd also put some white pine needles in the nest cavity and I even resorted to mixing up some dirt and water to make some mud and smearing it around outside of crescents and inside the cavities to make it look used.

Yes to the decoy. I'd get another one as well. They work.

The one thing I did that I believe worked was mirrors. I added mirrors to the inside of a few cavities a couome years ago, so when a bird looked in they would see themselves on the back wall. Sounds crazy but it works. These Martin's like other Martin's and feel comfortable in groups. You need to trick them into thinking there more there. You need to keep single males there as long as you can when you get one.

I put one mirror on a porch of one of my rooms. I had a SY male show up last year and hung around for a month and built a nest in a compartment. Which one of the 12 compartments do you think he chose? The one with the mirror on the porch. He'd sing to himself daily.

It sucks and it's a lot of work, but move that house immediately to the most open area. Get a 100 yard tape and pin off the tree distances to give you the furthest spot in the yard from trees.

There was a mirror thread recently. Scroll down and find it, I have a picture of my porch mirror in that thread.
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.
SSMartin

I started two colonies one off my driveway, and one behind a business in the retention area. Both got their martins from me playing dawnsong 24/7 until they had at least 4 birds. It never seemed to the bother the birds even playing all night. At the business I started the player Friday night and by Monday there were 3 asy males at the site.
glfriend

Thanks for input.....I will get the tree cut down. Its an old hog pine, we call in virginia. The pole is "really" in the ground so easier for me to cut the tree down. Like all the ideas. I have another decoy I will add as well.
flyin-lowe

Is it more open in the front of the house? It's hard to tell, if not I would move it to the left (west?) to get away. I have seen in person colonies in my area that have trees touching the martin housing. That typically happens when a colony is started and trees encroach over time. My belief is that martins at an established colony will tolerate tree encroachment as long as they are not getting attacked by hawks who use the trees as cover to ambush them. Years ago I found a colony on my way to the office one morning after seeing some martins circling an area I had never seen before and they were in the middle of town. I drove down the back ally and there was martin house in the middle of yard that was maybe 100 feet by 100 feet. The house was surrounded by very tall pine trees on all four sides. The martins had to literally drop straight down to the housing. I spoke with the elderly lady that lived there and she said the colony had been active for as long as she had lived there and the tree grew taller then the housing years ago. I assume that being in town there was no hawk pressure so they didn't mind the trees.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
glfriend

Thanks for your thoughts. I think my next step is cut the tree down. The guy came and said the tree is about 60 feet from PM house. Still think I will cut it down . Its an old Bull Pine anyhow ...good for nothing except creeping vines. If PM's do not show interest in the existing house I will put up a smaller house to left of existing one further out into the open field. I have to stay away from the middle because of the septic field.
Ryan

Get that dawnsong running and pointed to the colony next to you. I'd be interested to see if you'd have any visitors quickly searching for the sounds.
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.
glfriend

This morning with Dawn Song running say 8:15 I had a fly by...two of them
Ryan

Great stuff.

Chop some trees, pre-nest compartments with some white pine needles and mud and keep that dawnsong going. Having a colony that close is an advantage.

If it's not a well maintained colony it may not be full which is harder to pull birds from than a full house with no vacancy. However, Second year males are wired to start colonies of their own, so get you place looking good and do the work this season and it should pay off next season.
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
glfriend

I'm working on it.........
deancamp

Perfect. As Ryan suggested, keep the dawsong going until you have a pair that has definitely committed or you can tell they are not comfortable with it. I believe it is company for them and they don't feel so alone as well as it being the number 1 attractant for an unestablished colony. Fingers crossed and keep us posted.
glfriend

So just an update on attracting PM's. First off the colony about a mile away is not as impressive as it looks. A recent visit I observed a starling and a sparrow taking up one or two of the compartments. I would say the landlord does not give a rip. I'm Still playing the dawnsong and installed mirrors inside a few compartments. Nothing yet. The mirrors on the outside had to be taken down because the bluebirdrs were spending a lot time pecking at them. Tree still up to wet for trucks to get to it.
Steve joubert
Martin Colony History: Start date 6-15/19 starting out

I’m a wannabe be also in Louisiana. Put up two large houses in back yard and I see lots of Martins flying daily that belongs to nearby neighbor . Houses do have open space for flying , however I have fence line with mature trees. One of my friends gave me a old house that he was throwing away. So I decided to do a test which I painted it and put it up in front yard and see what would happen. Next morning about eight am , noticed they were flying lower than normal and they stopped and went into for inspection. So with that said I ordered a pole and will move a nicer and crescent entrance for them if they return. It was a natural high for me. Dawn song played all day every day!
tor
Martin Colony History: Capacity: 72 Troyers on 3 X Super-24 racks

BillieJR wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:33 pm
Welcome, Gary!

I'm waiting for tenants, too......in Wisconsin. I hope we'll both be lucky this year. Good luck!
Billie,

What kind of housing are you using? How is the housing placed? How close to trees? Do you have means to play dawnsong?

2020: Capacity: 72 - First Scouts: 2/11 - 71 pair - 298 hatched as of last nest check.
2019: Capacity: 72 - First Scouts: 2/22 - 70 pair - 315 fledged
2018: Capacity: 70 - First Scouts: 2/18 - 60 pair - 270 fledged
2017: Capacity: 42 - First Scouts: 2/25 - 39 pair
2016: Capacity: 42 - First Scouts: 3/10 - 32 pair
2015: Capacity: 24 - First Scouts: 3/23 - 4 pair

Purple Martins Of South Carolina
2020 Season