Mirrors being used,

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Steve joubert
Martin Colony History: Start date 6-15/19 starting out

I keep hearing that mirror help attract Martins. I’m a wannabe and asking how to set up mirrors for attracting Martins . Where do you set it up and a pic would be great!
deancamp

Sorry I don't have a picture, but stick a small makeup mirror on the back wall of the nest where you can see yourself when looking through the entrance hole. You can get them at dollar tree or dollar general very cheap.
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

That is correct dean just place the mirrors to the back of the cavities so you can look in from the entrance and see yourself. The Martin will see him or herself and will believe that there are other martins in the gourd. Making the Martin feel that it is safe to nest there. Good luck Steve.
Steve joubert
Martin Colony History: Start date 6-15/19 starting out

Wow!! Thanks a bunch , I will get on that ASAP!
Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Three SY males seen in 10 years.

Mirrors were talked about years ago in the 90s and then cooled off a little. I remember reading about them then. Ive been trying for 10 years to attract and about three years ago in desperation, I put a few mirrors inside the units on the back wall. I also put one mirror mounted onto the porch facing the entry hole, so any bird that landed would be able to see themselves in that mirror.

Last year I had a rare visitor and this SY male hung around for a month. I had never had visitors stay for a few hours before let alone a month.

I have 12 chalets, and which one of the 12 do you think he chose to build a nest in? The one with the mirror on the porch. He'd sing to himself in the mirror often. I really think it helped keep him around for a month straight with no other Martin's stopping by.

Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

That's a great idea, Ryan. That's how you think outside the box.

How big is your colony now?

Coolwhips
Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Three SY males seen in 10 years.

Whippy wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:05 pm
That's a great idea, Ryan. That's how you think outside the box.

How big is your colony now?

Coolwhips
I dont have a colony. That story and picture was last summer where i did manage to have one SY male stay the month of June. Hoping he can survive the off season and return this May as an ASY.

Not sure if you can see my signature line under this post but that sums up how few Martin's there are this far north. With dawnsong playing, I've only seen three Martin's in 10 years. Hoping he makes it back.

I believe in mirrors now.
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Ryan,

I see that now. I was so impressed by your method and use of the mirror that I had to stop reading things and post my reply to that.

I believe my colony was started by a SY male who had hung out all year the first year I had things set up. If that is true, he showed up to the exact same gourd he hung out in the previous year and this time fledged 3. He's been back every year since. Last year I had 4 pair. This year I'm looking at doubling but things haven't settled down yet so we will see. I have 3 or 4 unattached ASY males right now in addition to a few new couples so I may be at 7 pair.

My guess is he will return to your set up and hopefully bring a buddy or two. Send photos if he does.

Good luck to you.

Coolwhips
SSMartin

Ryan wishing you the best of luck. 3 martins in ten years and you’re still trying. Good for you I hope this year you are rewarded for your effort.