Vacancy light is On.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Duke

At dusk I enjoy sitting on my driveway and watching the few Martins I have this season. They circle overhead singing and whistling, but each evening I notice a few other Martins that join them then fly off to wherever while my Martins come on in for the night. Last evening I was astounded to see a huge flock join my Martins in flight , I’m estimating at least fifty or so Martins circling overhead. My resident Martins were flying with them chirping and clicking away as to trying to coax them in. I was hoping to gain more birds but they flew off after a while. I really don’t see any Martin houses in my neighborhood so I have no idea where they go. That would be a big colony if someone has all them birds but I’m just hoping for a few more. The light is on !
BillieJR

Hopefully they're headed up to Wisconsin cuz we're waiting for them, too. haha! :)
Billie from south central Wisconsin
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Hey duke,
Do the same, alternate sit in the front and watch as much as possible, the residents have been coaxing in large numbers of passers by, had huge numbers of martins absolutely flood in last few days. Have 19 (full now) pairs and the residents quickly enter and guard against intruders, the ones ejected sleep on balconies or fly off just before nightfall. Amazing to see the numbers. Holding off putting up my last 4 gourds for subbies.

Theres 8 natural gourds in the front, martins could care less about dog walkers or kids playing basketball across the street, amazing birds.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Duke

Hello BillieJR , they just might be heading North , but not yet. They are still in the neighborhood. Good luck up there.
Duke

Hi C.C.Martins good that you are getting birds. I have six gourds SK’s and a 20 room condo. Maybe I don’t have enough gourds but plan to expand next season with more gourds.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

You will get more birds, a few weeks ago I walked west guth park almost every day, saw lots of martins. The colony on the south west side is an old one but her bird numbers are down over the years for various reasons...i trust and hope they will head your way. gourds are the way to go.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Duke

C.C.Martins I too have been walking Guth park , who knows might have walked past you ! But I’ve been watching them Martins also. That is where that hawk was hanging out last week. I think the park is a nice place for the Martins to fly. Open flyways and rolling hills.