My electric predator guard setup

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad Biddle

Black Jack wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm
I have a question? What is to stop a bird from cleaning its beak on one of the wires at the bottom or coming in contact with voltage? I know i set out a electric fence wire around the perimeter of my small garden years ago to keep out the rabbits using a charger of your voltage. The wire was about six inches off the ground. Sad to say this but a female cardinal attempted to clean her beak and was burnt and died. The wire came down and i would never again use a means of shock to deter predators. I an curious as what would stop this from happening on your set up?

Regards
Nothing would stop it from happening. I don't know if it would kill a bird. I've never found one laying at the bottom of any of my racks. A electric fence charger is a high voltage, low amperage set up. I don't know if that matters, but you'd think if it was much of an issue I would have found a dead bird, or snake, or something around one of my poles. I've been using this set up, possibly as long as 15 years.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

I may be wrong but I thought that something had to be grounded before it would make complete connection. I got a buddy that’s been an Electrician all his life I’ll ask him. I know that Stockmaster Charger that I have will knock the fool outta you if you touch it while grounded. I have to say that occasionally I have seen small birds hanging from the electric fence by one leg and I can only surmise that they had been electrocuted . Not sure what kind of current it would carry. I’ll have to ask my Home-Boy.
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
M.Stephens

This is mine I have it set up on 11 poles.

https://youtu.be/5hDxsgJejt8

Snake vs the electric fence charger

https://youtu.be/VD78eWMJX2w
Malcolm
2015 (110 nesting pair)
2014 (92 nesting pair)
2013 (75 nesting pair)
2012 (35 nesting pair)
2011 (20 pair)

M Stephens that is a really cool video of the snake touching the fence. I like your setup
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Brad Biddle

Brad Biddle wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 am
M Stephens that is a really cool video of the snake touching the fence. I like your setup
Rodger, you’re right. The animal has to ground to either the dirt or the pole to complete the circuit. You can wear thick soled rubber boots and grab an electric fence and not get shocked. Don’t try that barefooted.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Yea, I checked in with my electrician buddy and he agreed with what I said. The bird or snake would have to make contact with the ground to complete the circuit. Years ago I would not ever kill a black snake. I knew they were instrumental in keeping the rodent population under control. Then I discovered that they would climb a pole and eat my Martin eggs, chicks, and even adult birds. Very detrimental to you Martin Colony.! If I trap one in my predator guards or bird netting he meets the “Grim Reaper” period.!
My bird netting at the bottom of my Martin Poles have become a very effective tool in trapping Black Snakes. Thus, preventing unnecessary attacks on my Martin’s and protecting my overall Colony. Just another part of my regiment of Predator Control that keeps my colony as a whole Safe.!

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.