Help me identify a nest inside my new house...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Is this a Martin nest, or do I have a sparrow problem?
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged

Looks like the beginning of a sparrow nest. Martins don't build like that. They make very shallow bowls.

I'm sure someone that's more of an expert will chime in....I hope.

Coolwhips
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Definitely partial sparrow nest,feathers, paper ,varied materials etc. remove it immediately and kill the sparrow.
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

PMDavid wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 pm
Definitely partial sparrow nest,feathers, paper ,varied materials etc. remove it immediately and kill the sparrow.
I have a cavity trap. I assume that I should take the nest tray out and put the trap in? I hate to sound stupid, but this is my first attempt and being a martin landlord. If I trap it, how do most dispose of it?
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

I know how this will sound,but this is how it is........
1. Hold sparrow in left hand with head sticking out
2. Grab head and neck between thumb and forefinger.
3. Pinch neck firmly with thumb and twist head at the same time. Done.
4. Deposit in nearest rubbish receptacle.
Do not just remove nest and let bird go,it WILL come back and start over and peck martin eggs and fight martins and your birds will leave. Eliminate the sparrows. They are non native invasive species.
deancamp

PMDavid wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:15 am
Do not just remove nest and let bird go,it WILL come back and start over and peck martin eggs and fight martins and your birds will leave. Eliminate the sparrows. They are non native invasive species.
+1
Conrad Baker

If you don't want to (or can't) use the above method to dispatch the sparrow, just put the trap in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, and squirt a shot or two of starting fluid (from auto parts store), and close the lid. He will be dead in a minute or two. Leave the trap in the bucket for 15 minutes, then dispose of the sparrow.
As stated above, don't just tear out the nest because the sparrow will come back with a vengeance, and peck a hole in every Martin egg in the colony if it isn't killed.
flyin-lowe

Keep an eye on the cavity once you set the trap. Since you are in prime martin seasondown south you don't want to trap one of those and accidentally leave it in there overnight or something. Insert traps work great this time of year on sparrows. It wouldn't hurt to put some of that nest material in tha back of your insert trap as long as it doesn't interfere with the tripping mechanism.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

PMDavid wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:15 am
What if its a female? Do we dispose of them too, or let them go?
deancamp

Dispose of them. They get the same treatment.
PMDavid

Dang guys ,y’all must have really liked that method. Quick, humane,painless,done!
Spiderman

Works for Starlings too.

One will be along in a minute, you'll see.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Hey T-Bird,

The advise everyone has given you is right on.! I have a Repeater Trap for Starlings and one for Sparrows. I keep a 5 gallon bucket close by the traps and just drown the little rats when I catch one. I used to pull their heads off, but that got a little messy on a few occasions so now I just take them for a swim. And yes do em all Males and Females. Monitor your trap because sometimes you will catch a domestic bird. Especially in the sparrow trap since I use Millet to bait it with. Of course you’ll want to let these go.
:arrow: And always tear out Nests’ that aren’t a Martin’s.!
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Rodger Drye wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:39 pm
Hey T-Bird,

The advise everyone has given you is right on.! I have a Repeater Trap for Starlings and one for Sparrows. I keep a 5 gallon bucket close by the traps and just drown the little rats when I catch one. I used to pull their heads off, but that got a little messy on a few occasions so now I just take them for a swim. And yes do em all Males and Females. Monitor your trap because sometimes you will catch a domestic bird. Especially in the sparrow trap since I use Millet to bait it with. Of course you’ll want to let these go.
:arrow: And always tear out Nests’ that aren’t a Martin’s.!
I have plenty of large buckets. I think I like your swimming method best!