COVID-19

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Ok folks,by now I know everyone has had enough of covid19. But I like everyone else want to say you can’t be too careful,you can’t stay home too much ,and you can’t over wash your hands!! If you haven’t already you should self educate on droplet precautions and aerosol precautions and the exact meanings of each . I work in a hospital in maintenance,therefore I’m all over all day the entire facility and ours is quite large. Today myself and another carpenter spent the day working with the a/c guys and the glass company pulling out windows and replacing them with a wooden window we made with a 12” hole for a duct hooked to a heapa filtered air machine inside the room to create a negative pressure room for corona patients in the up coming days. We did this down the entire side of the icu to all the outer rooms down that side of the wing. All the while passing nurses in full PAPR gear behind closed glass doors with possible corona patients(awaiting results). In the morning we will do the same on another floor above this one. This is all in the inevitable anticipation of Covid-19 arrival. It’s a rather sobering thing ! I promise you those nurses do not make enough for the risk of life involved here. They are committed to life care and have balls of steel ! If the shoe was on the other foot,I ain’t too sure I’d wear it. This crap is super serious and ain’t no joke man. Please ,please keep yourselves safe. I’m in the face of it first hand. Do what’s asked of you by all authorities and follow guidelines laid out for you to excess. Pray for all these health care workers and doctors ,first responders,etc. their lives are at risk for us all. The nurses who are giving selflessly are strong brave women,hold them in your prayers while you sit at home. Thanks all and stay safe.
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Amen !
Mike "Bird" Wren
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Check out the fix Italy is in on the news,picking and choosing who may or may not get the care they need to live or die because they are so overwhelmed for not needing to the obvious.....rather grim prospects there. Don’t be them!!!!
TerryW

Yes, but, there are lots of folks, like you, who hadn't better stay home or we will be duck soup for a full blown depression. Truckers are maybe as important a group as there is to both the medical profession and to the well being of our nation...avoiding an economic depression...and I don't truck nor have any real trucker friends, well maybe the UPS man is my friend, but that profession better keep 'em rolling!