Fight to the death of both

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mike Mack

This morning early all martins were acting like a hawk was watching them. So I made my normal walk around and they never setteled down. Couldn't figure what was up. Later around noon about my 4th or 5th round i seen a martin land at a cavity look in and fly off like a snake had got past my netting. Got a ladder for quick check and found two I think sy birds stuck together ones toe had actually went in under the skin and twisted up. They were not going to be able to get a part on their own. Once I got them out and apart they both flew off slow and exhausted. I have never seen it this bad before. Got pics and will try to post with this.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Mike,

Fights can become rather rough at times. Glad to hear you got them apart and they flew off.! Just curious you said you had to get a ladder to check on them. Do you not have a winch to where you can lower and raise your rack.?

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
Mike Mack

Hi Rodger
I allways have a very big step ladder close by. It was just a quick easy way to see what the problem was.