Texas Arrivals

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 62 fledged

We did have a strong influx of Martins in the last couple of weeks but I am also noticing that new Martins continue to arrive daily. Looking at the scout reports showed first arrivals for a couple landlords only yesterday. Last year my first arrivals were on the 22nd of March. I do have 5 Martins now. One pair and 2 additional ASY males and what appears to be 1 SY male. I have not seen 3 other ASY males that were here last year so I am expecting them any day now if they survived the trip to and fro.

The SY male has taken up various gourds for the evening. Although I can not confirm he's an SY male since lighting is poor, he does not enter the gourd with the ASY male at roosting time which most females have always done when they are paired. He's been in two different gourds in the last two nights so his behavior leans towards him being an SY male.

Would like to hear from other Texas folks about your arrivals to this point and what you are seeing. Hope you are all off to a great start.

Thanks,

Coolwhips
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Whippy,
Good numbers! Hope your regulars made it. Have good numbers here, first 4 arrived on feb 10, 8 days early. Kept that number for a few weeks, females started arriving with some new males, with unoccupied gourds it was hard to keep track because they kept switching gourds and claiming 2 cavities. now as of yesterday sitting at 13 pair with some single hopeful males. Have 4 unoccupied gourds, hoping to fill with subbies. When they arrive in strength and bug the residents ☺ i have 4 more natural gourds to put up yet to accomodate.

Two weeks ago had lots of martins come in, but they were transiting through, last night had a female arrive however she elected to sleep on a porch.

I reduced the number of gourds in the back by almost half, but put 8 in the front. I believe the last year birds accepted some of the new ones.
Wish u all the best this season!
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
Mike Mack

Hi Whippy,
Yes, the last two weeks with this mild weather has been a martin blessing. Starting to see what I think are a few sy, that hardheaded young and dumb behavior. We should still see a lot of asy comeing in for a few more weeks. I am running about half occupancy on 714 open and ready cavitys, with another 582 to open as needed.
Started keeping records in 2001 with 89 pair. My earliest arrival date ever was 2010 jan 19th and latest was 2005 feb 8th. Starting to get my starling and sparrow numbers back in line. Thats the main thing, you have to stay on top of them or it will get bad fast. Good luck in all. Mike.
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Hi Whippy,
The past week has brought an influx of new birds and a lot of fighting going on. I’m not sure yet how many pairs we have although I have seen two enter several gourds in the evening. We checked them today just to see what was going on and it looked like most of the aspen bedding has indentations indicating birds have been inside.
I expect this to be a good year but only if we can get a handle on the hawks. Someone in another thread suggested going out and standing near the poles when the martins come in at sunset. We saw a large hawk chase a martin into a gourd last night and it sat on the porch for quite a while. I couldn’t see the entrance because it faces the opposite direction. Apparently the hawks learn when it’s time for the martins to come in and standing out there will deter them. So tonight I will start putting the martins to bed as Steve Kronke calls it.
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

I did see more Martins today. The gourd rack was busy all day. Tonight I had 2 pair take up their places in the gourds and had 3 Martins take their place in the Trio. Last night a pair went in the trio but I did not see two go in there tonight but I was distracted briefly. There were two ASY males land on a gourd together but then headed out. I'll probably see them again tomorrow as I think they are in the gourd selection process.

I think we all will see more and more as this week unfolds.

Coolwhips
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Say whippy glad to hear you are seeing some more birds. And glad to hear yall are still seein more arrive. Maybe some more of those will continue on over this way. I don’t know if I’m seeing right or not but I swear I think a new one seems to show up every few days or so. It’s gettin to be a pretty busy event when they all come to bed. I don’t think I’ve seen any sy birds yet,have y’all? I guess I may pick up a few of those when they start to show I hope. Keep us posted and good luck to you.
David
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

PM-D,

I've not been able to accurately identify any SY Martins yet. The weather has not been the best lighting conditions. I did see behavior of one bird that indicated it might be an SY male but the 3rd day I observed this bird it dove into a gourd with an ASY male while it went into a gourd by itself the two previous nights.

Will keep an eye to the sky and a closer look at the gourds when they are sitting on them.

Coolwhips
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

I've seen an increase in Martins here in Plano in the last few days. March 22 last year was the date of my first scout. This year they got here about 2-3 weeks earlier. THey've gradually increased in numbers since then. I'm expecting a larger influx this week and next so will let you know if that happens.

Hows it looking in your part of Texas today?

Coolwhips
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2020: ?
PMCA member

Whippy, lots of what i think are SY birds arrived (they went into occupied gourds, were allowed to stay) last few days cold front stalled them, but it was short lived. Had 6 new birds come in looking for homes, females stuck around most of the males may have moved on, will see tonight. I have one unoccupied gourd.
4 martins were sleeping on the balconies, it was cold, poor guys.
Iv seen clouds of swifts and swallows.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

C.C.,

That's good to hear. I expect to see a lot this week and next. I was also going to ask who has seen any chimney swifts. There are a couple of pair that live in my neighborhood and when they are here, I have Martins in full swing. They are not here yet.

My gourds were real busy today. Had a bunch of ASY males popping in and out of gourds. Had a few females as well but I believe I have 3 pairs in the gourds now with the other males waiting for the ladies.

Coolwhips.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.Here late in season seemed to have as many as 18 Pr of nesting birds. Huge upscale in birds from 2019. Will also have a 20 gourd satellite rack prepared for the 2021 season.

Good to hear about you seeing more birds arriving whip! I may have one sy not sure ,I think I have a hawk attack. Instead of staying all out on the perches all mornings they fly and when they return all through the morning they zip into the gourds instead of on the perches,dammit! But any how maybe all the SY’s are on the way and I’ll end up with a few more,that’d be great. Good luck man and please continue to keep us posted,thanks.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Hi Mike,

Wow - 1296 cavities is a tremendous amount of units for Nesting. Wow, a lot of cavities means a lot of Bird’s. How many Bird’s did you have last year? How many Pole systems do you have.? Do you do Nest Checks, and if so how long does it take you to complete.? I’ll have 7 complete Pole Systems this year.
I’ll have 186 Nesting cavities total this year and that will be my limit. I don’t plan on putting up any more.!
Last year with 120 Gourd’s It took me the best part of 1 hour to completely do all my Nest Checks. Of course that’s including raising and lowering Racks, R & R Predator Control cylinder’s and conducting a thorough inspection, (not just looking in). I.E. looking for such things as dead bird’s, mites, invasive species nests’ etc. etc.

I’ve purchased a digital Voice Recorder this year so hoping that will help cut down on my inspection time.
I had 90 pair last year and fledged 435 for a total of 615 Bird’s. I had several SY Bird’s but they did not nest and or raise any young so I did not count them.

Haven’t caught any sparrows as of yet but I’ve been trapping the hound out of Starlings, with my last count standing at 19. Of course they all met the “Grim Reaper”.!!

Best of Luck to you and all.!

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
Mike Mack

Hi Rodger
Yes its alot of cavities. I use to be able to do a complete nest check of all in two days but that was a long time ago back in 09. I had over 700 pair back then. The drought to end all droughts of 2010 and 2011in central texas was a major setback that took years to recover from. The last two years kind of had to let things go to kick cancers butt. So now im back and taking care of martins and bluebirds is all I'm going to do. Doubt that I'll have 700 pair this year mabe next year. As far as nest checks after 7dusting them all it will just be done as needed. Sounds like you take great care of your birds, and if you can regular nest checks is the best way to go.
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged

Mike,

I'm about to send you an email through the contact tab. Please have a look.

Thanks,

Coolwhips