Back in time for cool weather!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
birdbrat

I was a bit late logging in this year due to a couple illnesses in the family but I am happy to report that my year has begun. For the first time in several years I had a male come in first. That leaves me wondering what has become of our "wonder woman". Good luck to all you buckeyes out there. Looks like its martin time again! Brenda
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

birdbrat,
Ohio is now up to 3 reports. I hope they brought their long johns with them, as we are supposed to see temps below 32! My colony is east of you outside of Athens, more Bobcat and LSU Tigers than Buckeyes, but all-in for Purple Martins! We have yet to see any matins over this way, but after seeing your report, another one from Franklin Furnace, and one from New Concord, I am expecting them any day !! Might take a drive to a friends colony near Chillicothe to see if he has birds yet.
I have meal worms ready to go in cae this cold weather continues. Best of luck this year with your colony!

"Bird"
Mike "Bird" Wren
John Evans

Hi Brenda and Mike.

Hope you both have spectacular seasons! Thats the one thing I don't miss a about living in Ohio (well there is more than one actually Lol).. The constant worry about the safety and survival of early Martin returns.

Nest building has been going on for a few days here in earnest. Offering 22 cavities and quite possibly will be full this year..up from 6 pairs last year.

Take care.

John
PMCA Member
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

John,

Glad to hear that your new colony is up and running down in Florida! My birds are not back yet, but we are expecting them anyday.
Thanks to your generosity when you left Ohio, we have spread the equipment you passed down to create 3 new colonies in this area. I will let you know how things go as birds arrive. Thanks again!
Stay in touch and enjoy your new colony!
"Bird"
P.S. Are the people who bought your awesome place taking over the gourd racks?
Mike "Bird" Wren