PM outreach ops in the front yard

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Well, the 8 gourds have sure atttacted attention! Martins: So far 3 pairs...as of yesterday. People: Have had folks drive up and stop to ask what the gourds are, they all seem very interested, open and curious. Gives me the opportunity to talk the birds up and build some martin-human awareness.
I wanted to check a gourd, as usual there wasnt a martin to be seen when i lowered it, but they rushed in to let me know i was tresspassing right when a car drove up so she got to see a whole group. Good opportunity!

Crossing my fingers it all stays positive, no home owners association of course.
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many major improvements to my sight. Cut trees. Raised housing height. Added more variety and quantity of cavities. Played dawn song. Added 2 decoys.

I no longer encourage the hobby. As soon as they discover the house sparrow eradication, they lose interest. It’s really a tough sell and hard obstacle for folks to accept. The “nest removal” strategy might sell better, but it doesn’t really work and doesn’t protect the martins as well. Might as well explain the house sparrow elimination immediately before going any further. If they can get past that, you might have a candidate.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Well, like anything else good with the bad. Personally, ill encourage it.as much as i can... like mud on the wall some will stick. Its my belief that some folks that are reached will form a real attachment to their martins and through that attachment will take measures they wouldnt have normally comsidered. Lots of LLs express horror at the damage done by starlings, sparrows and take action to defend.
I understand though, have a LL aquaintance who wont control sparrows. I fear that colony is in trouble, while they have birds no young martins can stay.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Spiderman

Allo of people ask me a bunch of questions all the time. To me the biggest problem is for a good quality Gourd rack with gourds the cost is $750.00. Once we get to that point the conversation is mostly over.

I made the investment and enjoy the Martins but most people have so many things going on in their life, Purple Martins are too far down on their list to Pursue.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many major improvements to my sight. Cut trees. Raised housing height. Added more variety and quantity of cavities. Played dawn song. Added 2 decoys.

$750 initial investment, kill nest box competitors, wait 3 to 5 years on average for your first pair, all the knowledge and research required. It really takes a special person to do this hobby. Like finding a needle in a haystack.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Yep. Takes a certain person with desire and resolve.

My wife has always given me a hard time about getting more than knee deep into a project. I couldn't just go bowling. I had to join a league and buy us each shoes and bowling balls with finger holes drilled to perfection to get the right curve of the ball. Can't buy a 6 pack. It's gotta be a case. Don't get only 25 zip ties. Buy a bag of 500. Never know when you'll need them. Don't just coach one soccer team, join a club and coach 5 teams. I had been talking about purple martins for a long time. She almost bought me a purple martin house for my birthday one year. So she looks out the window when she gets home after walking in the front door and sees the 16 gourd rack all set up. "I knew you couldn't just buy a a cute little bird house but I was hoping." :lol:

She knows how I get so she went home for lunch today and while she was there she too pictures of our martins and sent it to me. I'm out of town until Saturday.

It's a hard sell for sure but every now and then you'll run into the right mentality.

Coolwhips.
C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Whippy, thats funny! My wife too would say they are just birds. Now she knows the diffrence between males/females, some of their habbits and calls me in the morning to report the goings on.
She went home on vacation in november for 2 weeks and left me all alone...strict rules not to get up to mischief. Well, 2 days in i put in a 36" deep hole in the front, set the ground stake for a future 14 foot gourd rack. Cleverly hidden in the grass, but used black potting soil to encourge the grass to grow back. First thing she did was inspect the grounds to see what i was up to and low and behold the grass did not disguise the 10 inch circle of black soil. Dang it. Busted BUT she now watches the new martins sitting on HER rack from HER window...and calls me when the martins come out! ☺
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

C.C you go boy!!!! I like the way you operate. Always remember a wise old proverb....”it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission”. If I had asked first to buy that motorcycle I would have been met with Goliath resistance. So instead ,I bought it ,rode it home,and explained what a great deal I made on a gently used only 3000 miles bike for half of what a new one cost! The storm quickly blew over :grin: