Almost threw in the towel.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Duke

I was about ready to give up hope this season. But lo and behold this morning the Martins started to show up ! I have Martins claiming gourds but also as soon as the Martins started showing up the HOSP and Starlings started to lay claim too. Had to be a aggressive landlord today and keep them away. I was getting worried the Martins would not show up this season because last season I lost all chicks to fire ants. It happened so quick by the time I had done a two day check the damage was done. It still bothers me to this day. This season I had yard sprayed for ants and will lay out granules for fire ants. I’m looking for something sticky to smear on the pole to eliminate the ants path up. If anyone has a idea would be appreciated.
Conrad Baker

Amdro is the only thing that works for me. I put a teaspoon of it on the mound, and in three days, the mound is dead. You have to kill the queen, or you won't get rid of the ants. If you spray, it only kills the ants it contacts, and doesn't reach down into the mound to kill the queen. As you probably know, it is the queen that feeds the individual ants. When you put Amdro on the mound, the ants think it is food, and bring it to the queen, feeding it to her. She dies from the poison in the Amdro, then the ants have no way to feed themselves and then they die. Not saying a new mound won't pop up in a few days, but if you stay on top of it and treat each mound as it comes up, you will be successful. Walk around the yard once a week is all you need. The mounds are readily visible, especially after a rain, they really pop up then.
deancamp

Duke, never say die, persistence usually wins out. I read somewhere that someone had used a product called Tanglefoot and it worked for them. I have never used it, but thought I would pass that along for you to check out.
Duke

Thank you Conrad Baker and deancamp. I’ll be on lookout for the ant mounds and apply Amdro. And dean I’ll see what tanglefoot is about. Thank y’all.
steve r

Just go in the yard bare foot you will soon find the fire ants
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Duke, great news! Glad they returned, the Ll at west guth had late arrivals so i was hoping they were just delayed.
Your lesson had me out and about checking the bases and area for ants, killed one nest in the middle of the yard. Liberally axle greased one of the poles, just have to watch. I think it will be dry this year so the fire ants will go deep, no tell tail mounds until it rains.
Hope your season is a good one!
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
Duke

Thanks C.C.Martins. I made a couple of trips to West Guth Park , it’s about a 3/4 mile from me. I seen some Martin houses on the edge of the park and today there were some Martins flying above them. Also deancamp recommended a product to me it’s called tanglefoot I had to look around for it but found it at Turners nursery. I smeared it on the poles. It’s very sticky and has good testimonials. I feel better now.
Conrad Baker

Duke wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:25 pm
Thanks C.C.Martins. I made a couple of trips to West Guth Park , it’s about a 3/4 mile from me. I seen some Martin houses on the edge of the park and today there were some Martins flying above them. Also deancamp recommended a product to me it’s called tanglefoot I had to look around for it but found it at Turners nursery. I smeared it on the poles. It’s very sticky and has good testimonials. I feel better now.
That should help. I see that Tanglefoot also sells banding material to put on the pole before you apply the sticky stuff. From what I read, you wrap the banding material around the pole (or tree), then put the sticky stuff on the banding material. That way when you are ready to remove the Tanglefoot from the pole, you just peel the banding material off, and throw it away. Otherwise, you have to clean the sticky stuff off of the poles, which apparently is time consuming and takes some effort. Good Luck !!!!
Duke

Thanks @ Conrad Baker. Well this season I'll just have to scrape and clean. I was just happy to be refered to tanglefoot , it is exactly what I was looking for. Next time around I'll use tape. Good luck to all this season with the Martins.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2020: ?
PMCA member

Duke,
Thats the spot, a few Trios and a beat up Heath she uses to deflect sparrows. they are good folks. I walk there for lunch, saw them in the yard years ago and walked up to talk martins.
the northern most house, west side has a house too I believe. Theres a plastic house Starling central on the east boundary, no martins.

Ok Ill too try turners for tanglefoot...its just down the street from us. Thanks for that bit of advice folks! I'll be putting it on the hummingbird feeder hooks too :)
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
Duke

C.C. Martins , she has a prime location. The whole park which I’m thinking the Martins really like. I’ll try talking to her if I ever see her. Also I too have a couple of small bird houses on a tree close to my Martin houses and sparrows claimed those. I’ll let them keep them as long as they don’t mess with the Martins. Good day !