Getting close to doubling colony size!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Good day and good luck all. Well this being my third year I’m feeling good about my time and effort invested thus far. Year one.....late getting started. Year two.....prepared and ready early...7 pair . Here on year three I have already exceeded last years pairs and seem to have a minimum of ten pair maybe eleven. They swirl and dive so fast I can’t really tell. But the kicker is .... I pretty much still have the whole month of March and half of April to go to gain even more birds and I assume I will. So I’m really pleased and excited to see where this will end up. I will say I have gotten a lot of good guidance and advice along the way from various team members here and I thank you. David.
Brad Biddle

PMDavid wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:43 am
Good day and good luck all. Well this being my third year I’m feeling good about my time and effort invested thus far. Year one.....late getting started. Year two.....prepared and ready early...7 pair . Here on year three I have already exceeded last years pairs and seem to have a minimum of ten pair maybe eleven. They swirl and dive so fast I can’t really tell. But the kicker is .... I pretty much still have the whole month of March and half of April to go to gain even more birds and I assume I will. So I’m really pleased and excited to see where this will end up. I will say I have gotten a lot of good guidance and advice along the way from various team members here and I thank you. David.
Congrats. You're gonna way over double your numbers. :grin:
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Thanks brad.....
rrmartins

Glad your efforts are paying off, always exciting when there’s so many flying around you can’t count them.
Good luck!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
deancamp

That's great David, I believe they have found a good home. On a side note, those birds from Steve K are excellent recruiters. :lol: :lol:
PMDavid

That’s a rodger dean! They know they’re way around from here to there and back. I’m hopin they make a little pass up there and back this weekend!
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

It is a challenge to count them, even at night, its over so fast! Exceedingly fun to try though. Those are good numbers, congrats. They are in good hands. Hope you fill up.
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!
Steve Kroenke

David,

Wow! Your martin colony is doing well! Now I'm gonna let you get away with stealing some of my martins this time! :lol:

For your area, you may even have all of April and maybe early May to still attract breeding martins. So a lot of time let for your colony to grow.

Martins are pouring into our colonies up here in northwest Louisiana. Lots of new martins even though the winds are out of the north/northwest yesterday and today. Lots of sunshine and mild temperatures.

I am seeing more earlier than usual Accipiter hawk attacks on our martin colonies and so far the only victims have been martin decoys. Today a big female Cooper's hawk attacked and tried her best to take off one of my martin decoys on a pole but failed! April has always been the main month for Accipiter hawk and merlin attacks.

As the weather gets warmer, make sure you install net traps on your martin housing poles. The rat snakes will be crawling and they will be HUNGRY after emerging from hibernation. I have re-worked all 17 of my net traps to include another layer of netting made from 5/8 inch netting on the top of my original 3/4 inch netting. Though the 3/4 inch netting has so far caught all rat snakes that have tried to climb my poles, perhaps some smaller rat snakes may be able to navigate through it. The smaller netting size of 5/8 inch may catch any of those. I get my netting from Amazon.

Keep us posted on the status of your martin colony!

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
PMDavid

Yes Steve thanks! I’m excited to see where this all goes. If I have that type of time frame I could see some really huge growth. I do remember last season I got subs through the month of April so no telling what could happen. I’ll definitely have you some updates as we move along. Thanks again
Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

That's great! Gives me hope as well specially when you mentioned you have rest of March and into April to gather more Martins. I'm pretty much in the same boat. My Martins all came in after March 22nd last year and I know I have 2 now but maybe 4. I get to see them go home tonight.

I can't wait to hear of your final pair count. Keep the Martin trap going. :lol:

Coolwhips
PMDavid

Thanks whippy, if you are like me you’ll be sittin out there shortly. I bet this afternoon you see em all and who knows they may have been courting company today and bring those in to. Over the weekend should bring good chances for new birds for ya also. Sunny,warm,light breeze....keep watch when you can man. Yesterday at this time all my birds were in and out and squabbling going on here and there ,a couple of to the ground fights even. That alerts me that there could have been some more new ones yesterday arrive. Several many were holed up a lot and others back and forth so I still can’t get a good count. I beleive when they do that and new squabbling occurring thats an indicator of new birds and hole guarding. Today they are all out and gone feeding right at the moment. Maybe they’ll all gang up big at coming home time. Good luck over the next few nice days and moving forward,they’ll get there you have quite a while yet!
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Dang. I got home at 6:21. By 6:25 I saw one male jump into his gourd he used last year. Then the other male was coaxing his lady friend into the Trio for the evening. That was cool to watch. He would land and go in but she didn't so he bailed, chased her down and 7 minutes later they both go into the Trio cavity that was used last year.

Makes sense about new birds arriving. This morning there was a pretty good altercation on one side of the Trio so maybe a newbie got a little talkin' to. If they came home tonight I missed them. The Trio male and the Gourd male are always the last two into their cavity every night. So if there were others I missed them.

Really fun time of the year.

Coolwhips
PMDavid

Well whips you tried. Try again as soon as you can. I bet they were already in and you missed em. Bet ya.
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

PMDavid wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:40 pm
Well whips you tried. Try again as soon as you can. I bet they were already in and you missed em. Bet ya.
Yeah. They're pretty sneaky.

I'm out of town for the next week so I have 8 days for them to pile up and surprise me upon my return. Maybe I'll get my wife to send photos if she sees any.

Coolwhips.
PMDavid

Say whipper ,get your wife to look close,I’m lookin at the weather thing and I see south winds starting tonight and running for at least the next 9 days.......here comes your birds!
Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

I saw that.

Should be good.

Will let you know what happens. Hope its good.

Coolwhips.
PMDavid

So this morning before going fishing we sat out side in an attempt to gain some sort of a count ,ha ha. Some leave and come back and some are still inside the gourd and then leave and come back and so on and so on...ain’t happening. So this evening with bright sunny skies they all stayed out late together. As far of a good guess as I can make I think I have a certain 20 birds may be 1 or 2 more. Yesterday it was darkish cloudy in the evening and at 4:30 apparently some were already in and settled because I bet I didn’t count 10-12 then some would leave and return then another one would leave and two would come back and so on. They did the in and out thing until actual dark .
mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B09s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 - 12 Troyer Horizontals with tunnels, 6 S&K B09s and 12 B011s all with tunnels. 43 eggs - 36 fledged
2020 - Rack 1 - 6 B011s, Rack 2 - 24 B011s, and Rack 3 - 24 Troyer Horizontals. All gourds have tunnels, porches and crescent/Conley 11 entrances; racks have predator guards.

PMDavid - Like you, I'm in my third year. Went from 6 to 30 to 54 gourds. I also have around 20-25 birds now and don't see any newcomers but I anticipate a nesting season and fledgling production that will outstrip previous years.
You heading to Daytona for Bike Week? I'll probably head up and if you're planing to attend let me know. Maybe we can arrange a meeting place and talk birds instead of bikes!!
Mike
PMDavid

Hey mike, glad to hear your on the increase. Man I’ve tried so many times to get a good count but it just ain’t happening. I’ve got a certain 20 plus. Not sure how high of a plus but it’s for sure over twenty. Last year I had 12-14 so in my eyes I’m happy with the increase and may see even more over the next few weeks,I remain optimistic. I haven’t ever been to Daytona and would really dig doin it. However I generally use all my vacation between spring fishing and winter hunting season. This year I have an archery elk hunt planned and that will require even more time,so I think I may not make it,maybe next time. Good luck and stay in touch. David.