Big increase here

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Two days of hard south wind paid off, started and held steady with 4 Asy males, grew to 6 last week, last 2 days grew to 11, two females staying the night. Some males have claimed multiple gourds so when the females come in they jump and dive into multiple cavities, fun to watch.
Im especially happy two have elected to stay in the gourds in the front. Put up 7 naturals and a supergourd.

Hawks will be coming soon and i hope this rack will give some support and early warning to those in the back.

Hope to see our satelie site attracts em. 3 seasons the charm.

Wish all a good season.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2020: hopeful!!!
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

That’s great news cc. Hope they keep comin for ya.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Thanks, i hope the numbers go up for all of us.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Duke

Glad your having success. I was wondering if the Martins were showing up. Sunday 3/1/20. I had two males and one female show up in the morning. They inspected the SK gourds and new house I built. But didn’t stay. Last season it was a terrible situation, as I lost all my chicks to fire ants. By the time I realized it was too late. The Martins were acting erratic and I tried to save the chicks but it was too late. I’m now worried they will not come back. I had about 25 birds last season. This season I have put sticky paper on pole to prevent ants from accessing the nests. Might also put something like grease. I live in the Annaville area.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Duke ,I was a pest control supervisor for about eight years. So if I may make a suggestion on the ants. I don’t know how large your yard or “Martin area” is but if you will treat all the ant hills with a liquid soaking them thoroughly,then use a granule broadcast with a handheld spreader over the yard area you can mostly eliminate the ants for a few months
Duke

Thanks for the suggestion, I was going to use granules and ant bait at the base of the pole. I’m still disappointed bout last season. I live In a neighborhood so it’s kind of tight. I have been watching the sky for Martins but have not even seen any sign in the neighborhood. Last year I had a scout on February 28th. And after I had all my birds there were still a flock of Martins making fly bys. Now I’m thinking since they had the bad experience last season they decided to not come back. I’m keeping my hopes up.
PMDavid

Duke it’s actually good being tight. Recipe......liquid treat all mounds ,granulate the yard then lightly spray the yard over the granules .....NO ANTS!
deancamp

C.C., glad to hear those birds are making it back. Make sure you let some pass through and let them know I'm waiting on them. Duke, I'm very interested to hear how you turn out. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go about it like you are starting new. Fire up the Dawn Song and if your old birds don't return you might snag enough for a new start.
Duke

Thanks PMDavid. I will certainly use your recipe. Plus this Friday I have pest control coming out and they will spray the yard. Good luck this season with the Martins!
C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Duke,
Thanks and hope your martins come back. lots of birds your way, have a friend at west guth park who hosts martins. sorry to hear about the dang fire ants, i hate them. had two dove chicks in a plant hanger killed by them, they get everywhere.
increases are on the way!
Tom
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Duke

Thanks Tom. I actually live very close to West Guth Park. I’ll keep a eye in the sky ! Thanks. Good luck.