PMCA Wing Entrapment Protectors heads up....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
John Barrow

IMO, if the new design is 1inch thick, martins should be able to navigate it. I might install them 1/32-1/16 inch above the entrance top to make their entry easier. The UHMW plastic is so slick. A good material they can sail through. Thanks, btw, for identifying the material. I really like it; however, had no idea what it was until your first post on the thread.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
Keith

The S&K gourd with the Clinger tunnel entrance ended my Starling problems. Starlings in my opinion cause a lot of problems for Martins and I have tried other entrances with some degree of disappointment. These Clinger tunnels have built-in wing entrapment.
Keith
Brad Biddle

Thanks John, glad to be back. What started as an absolute obsession with Martins for me turned more into a novelty as my kids grew up. Lots of good busy times with them over the years and I wouldn’t have missed any of it for the world. My daughter is now a Jr in college and this is my sons senior year in high school. My interest in Martins has never gone away but priorities change with time. I am now more involved with them again and seem to have found a nice balance, keeping them in perspective. They also provide me with some much needed “de stressing” in the evenings watching them flit about coming to roost. I worked a public job for the first many years of being a landlord and changed to being a business owner 7 years ago. It took several years of blood, sweat and tears to get the business running like it should and still have room for improvement in that area but life has at least attained some balance for me at this point where I’m able to enjoy family and some Martin therapy again
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
John Barrow

I talked to Mel at Hilltop Specialties today to ascertain the status of the new WEP. He says they have been manufactured and are available for purchase from PMCA. He said that they are 3/4 inch thick. They are not made from the UHMW material originally available, but Mel said that the material is a similar hard material and I'm hoping they will be as polished as the UHMW ones. Telling him I might order as many as 50, and others would likely need them in making a "Lewis" modification, Mel replied that he had that many on hand now. I ordered 30 today but understand shipping might be delayed due to downsized work forces resulting from the virus. PMCA indicates shipping will take two weeks. I assume these will be shipped directly from Hilltop which might be faster. I can update this reply to critique the product when I receive my order.
~~TEAMED WITH A MARTIN GODDESS~~

Member/Mentor-PMCA. I do regular nestchecks and participate in PROJECT MARTINWATCH!! Coordinated 3 geolocator studies-2009, 2010 & 2013. State and Fed licensed bander (retired Jan., 2020)
Lewis

John,

Thanks for your effort in this matter. I will be looking forward to your critique. The old one worked so well in stopping starlings that it far outweighed its worth as a wing entrapment protector, therefore I hope Hilltop will consider reintroducing the original along with the new one.

Lewis
Spring Garden Keeper
Brad Biddle

With them being that thick, they should work equally as well as wing entrapment guards as they do as Starling resistant entrance "enhancers."

They make pop rivets long enough to install them. I just looked online to make sure. I can't imagine attaching them to a Conley II entrance Troyer tunnel in any other way. With their "new" wing entrapment guard that's molded on the interior it would make using machine screws and nuts extremely difficult. I use 3, 3/16 aluminum pop rivets to attach mine to the tunnels.

I also definitely understand why Mel changed from UHMW to another product. When I got my order of the "new" WEP's and found them to be so vastly different than the originals, I decided to make my own, since I had a half sheet of 1/2" UHMW left over from a project that we had done at our shop. That has to be some of the most difficult material to work with that I've ever tried to use. It took me one Friday evening and all day Saturday to cut out and get a good finish on 120 of them. I tried to use a router table like I did when I was making Sintra faceplates and porches. It is NOT router friendly unless you cut the shape very close to the correct size with a bandsaw. Basically I could only skim the edge with the router. If I left more than 1/16" to cut off, the router would jerk it out of my hand, or knock chunks out of it. I work with dangerous tools on a regular basis, and I got scared that I was going to lose a finger in the router table. I ended up cutting the UHMW into strips, then tracing each one out with a pattern, then cutting them out with a bandsaw. I used a flap wheel sander, installed in my drill press to smooth the interior radius of the "half" circle. I had to play with the RPM's of the drill press to get it as close to right as I could. Too fast would sort of smear it and too slow wouldn't smooth it. I have no ambition to ever work with it again.

If Mel doesn't have a CNC milling machine to cut them out on, then I can definitely see why he swapped and I don't blame him a bit. I don't know what he's making them from, but I think PE plastic would work great. Sintra would probably work fine too and I think that's what the WEP's that I sent back to the PMCA were made from. If not, something close to it. I do wonder if UHMW has any UV protection in it. I sure hope it does. If not I'll have 170 to replace eventually.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Lewis

Brad, I used Polymax or HDPE 1/8 in board to make my flooring for THZ gourds and it has stood up well to UV . The sheets come in all thickness and can be ordered from FARMTEC. I attached my WEP's by countersink drilling and using ss screws. They Have held up well and have never come loose. I think if I was going to fabricate some WPE I would use HDPE 3/4 in. thick. You could make 100's with a 4 ft x 8 ft. sheet from FARMTEC.

LEWIS
Spring Garden Keeper
Brad Biddle

10-4, thanks.