Finally Decided To Smear Mud At Entrances (Pics)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-couple of visitors
2019-nothing
2020-Removed 2 trees. Raised height of housing. Offering 12 Chirpy Nests, 8 Troyer Verticals, and 4 Troyer Horizontals. Playing Daytime Chatter C.D. this year and added a couple of decoys on rack. Smeared mud around the entrances. Will see what happens.

Finally Decided To Smear Mud At Entrances (Pics)

Postby Bird Brain » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:35 pm

I've been reading for years to do this and just never got around to trying it. I couldn't help but laugh while doing this. I felt like a 2 year old playing with mud and smearing it all over my expensive martin set up. I must admit though. It does give the appearance of being previously used. After I finished, I felt good about it. Here's a couple of pics. Did I do this right ?

Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

deancamp

Re: Finally Decided To Smear Mud At Entrances (Pics)

Postby deancamp » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm not an expert on this, but the goal would be to have some dirt up on them to mimic the dirt or filth that the martins leave as they are using the gourd going in and out and hanging out on the porch. I think you have done that, probably didn't need that much but I can't imagine that would be detrimental. If there are chunks of mud stuck on them you could knock them of with yoor hand and it will still leave the messy look. Good luck!

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:36 pm

Looks like a good job! most will wash off with the rain but its got the look, enough will stick. isn't it funny, we'll paint, adjust to perfection, adjust again and again and when everything ready 3 months in advance...smear mud. Funny mud story...I like looking for indian artifacts, haunt shell middens near the coast. found a few large old snail shells they had discarded in a big shell midden last winter, they were packed with 500 years of hard dried black clay...I scraped some out and made mud with that, put it on all the porches. I liked the historical tie...different tribe but....
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

Kyler
Martin Colony History: PMCA Member - Project MartinWatch - Enlarged Compartments - SREH - S&S Control - Mite Control - Predator Guards - Heat Control ( Vents and Insulation ) - Supplemental Feeding -

Manage 8 Colonies that consist of 250 Cavities in Colby Kansas.

Offer 78 Cavities Main Site
Offer 12 Cavities Golf Course
Offer 30 Cavities Grandpa’s Public Site
Offer 28 Cavities Grandpa’s Site
Offer 12 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 48 Cavities Homeowners Site
Offer 6 Cavities Home Site
Offer 36 Cavties Homeowners Site

Postby Kyler » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 pm

BirdBrain,
That is exactly what I did at my new site back in 2016. I’m still not sure if that is what attracted them or not. It definitely made them very curious if they decided to land. The males never had anything to do with it but the females will definitely mess with it. I actually made a little mud dam on the porch and smeared a little inside the compartment. The first pair that came down to my houses, the female actually took the mud dam off and threw it on the ground. Pretty interesting. Good luck hope it works for you!

Kyler,
Purple Martin Landlords of Northwest KS
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9HDLGlbCmSYcSExIySwUQA

2013 & 2015 - 0 Pair -
2014 - 1 Pair - 4 Eggs - 3 Hatched - 3 Fledged -
2016 - 5 Pair - 27 Eggs - 24 Hatched - 13 Fledged -
2017 - 18 Pair - 102 Eggs - 78 Hatched - 69 Fledged -
2018 - 22 Pair - 115 Eggs - 92 Hatched - 86 Fledged -
(Moved 300 Yards)
2019 - 28 Pair - 144 Eggs - 131 Hatched - 125 Fledged -
2020 - ? Pair - ? Eggs - ? Hatched - ? Fledged -

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”