Mouse damage to plastic gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad Biddle

Mouse damage to plastic gourds

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:24 am

Surely I'm not the only one this has ever happened to....

I bought 24 used Supergourds 8-10 years ago, or at least I think it's been that long. They've been stored in a shed in the boxes they were delivered in since then. During that time mice decided they would be a great place to raise a family. Apparently several mice and several families. I built 2 new racks a few weeks ago and needed gourds to hang on them, so I dug out the boxes and unboxed the gourds. They smelled and looked horrible. I cleaned them out and soaked them in hot water with lots of clorox. Then I scrubbed them with a scouring pad and Dawn dishwashing liquid. They cleaned up nicely but I still had the holes to deal with. In total 10 gourds had been chewed on. Every one of them had one "hanging" hole enlarge. I know from using it many years ago that LEXEL sticks well to plastic and lasts a long time. I have many plastic gourds having that had tunnels "LEXEL-d" into them 12-15 years ago and the LEXEL has never failed. Not once. I also knew that the holes in 2 of the gourds was too large to rely on LEXEL alone. They needed something behind the LEXEL to help hold it in place. I decided to use aluminum flashing, pop riveted in place, then cover the whole area with LEXEL to help make it look more uniform and also to insulate better than the thin aluminum. They don't look great, but they'll work just fine. The only drawback to using LEXEL is that it doesn't smooth well. You can coat your finger in mineral spirits and smooth it up some. Here are the picture sequence of the event. I added a ventilation cap over the "hanging" hole on the other side and will make new holes, front to back to hang these. They're getting a Troyer tunnel installed so they'll be too front heavy to hang side to side. Also, I didn't write LEXELin all caps to get your attention, that's how it's written on the tube.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

deancamp

Re: Mouse damage to plastic gourds

Postby deancamp » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:35 am

Must have been a sinking feeling, when you happily opened that box of gourds and seen the damage. That LEXEL sounds like a great product I need to check out.Those new racks will be sweet when they're all decorated with gourds.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:58 pm

I tried to add pictures but the forum was messing up. I’ll try again

Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:29 pm

They definitely put the hurt on them. Glad you were able to figure out a way to repair them. It's good to know there is a possibility of that happening.

James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.
2018 Had 1 pair
2019 had 30 pair

Postby James Strickland FL » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Could drill it out with a hole saw and put a piece of PVC with a cap and seal around it. PVC Cement may also holed it to the gourd.
PMCA MEMBER

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm

This last one is a different gourd. Just showing the repair from the interior. Sorry for the multiple replies with pictures instead of having them in the original post but I’ve been having issues with the forum and got tired of losing my post.

The repair isn’t pretty but I know from my prior experiences with LEXEL that it will last at least 15 years. There’s other ways to fix this problem. This is just the way I did it

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 pm

James, PVc could be used to repair the gourd but PVC glue will not stick to the plastic that any plastic gourd is made from. PVC cement “melts” PVC together, it’s a bond on the molecular level. Basically it makes 2 pieces of PVC one piece. It won’t bond PE. There are very few products that adhere well to PE plastic. There are no solvent cements available for it. Back more than a decade or so ago there were several of us online Martin folks who tested numerous products to glue PVC tunnels to Plastic PE gourds. There were only 2 products that worked at an acceptable level for me. One was a type of construction adhesive. It was a form of urethane. It worked okay but LEXEL worked better and could also be painted.

TerryW

Postby TerryW » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 pm

I came back and altered this post:

There is a polyethylene adhesive now. It's like an epoxy, but it requires the poly be flame treated in the glue-targeted area beforehand. Looks pretty easy to do. It's called Tap Poly Weld Adhesive. Google the Youtube video with a Google of "Tap Poly Weld Adhesive YouTube" and view how it and the flame treatment is accomplished.

I wonder how it would help you with the problem you had with that honkin big mouse hole though. That's some industrious mice, may be more of a rat?

I have a hunch that any epoxy might work after the flame treatment...further to that:

Flame treatment would alter the polyethylene and certainly burn away the oily "feel" to its surface, which my favorite material which is "smooth-able" using your water-wetted finger, DAP Alex Plus acrylic latex plus silicone, doesn't adhere to its surface very well, if at all...the oily-like surface of polyethylene...once that oily-like feel is gone, and maybe if the surface is roughened to some degree, the Alex Plus may stick better. BTW, I believe the amount of silicone in the Alex Plus is less than it used to be.

Fireflyfisherman
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 1 Pair (5 Fledged)
2015 - 1 Pair (3 Fledged)

Postby Fireflyfisherman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:53 am

Just put an elbow pvc and then it is vented.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:01 am

Terry like you said I’ve never had any luck with Alex Plus adhering to PE plastic. It sticks to PVC well. I have used some adhesive on UHMW that had to be flame treated first. We used it in an industrial situation.

Yes an elbow would have worked but it would have taken at least a 1” elbow to fill the hole.

I made a rain cap type vent that I put on the opposite sides over the hanging hole.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”