Pine straw in home grown gourds?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Black Jack

Pine straw in home grown gourds?

Postby Black Jack » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:39 am

Would it be a turn off for martins to put pine straw in a natural grown gourd? This is the first year that i am going with original gourds. The last 2 years i used round plastic gourds which were small for the martins and they had slick plastic bottoms. I call myself getting a head start for the martins by using pine straw.

Regards

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Re: Pine straw in home grown gourds?

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 am

Absolutely not blackjack,you should prenest. Short white pine needles are preferred but here in Louisiana we use the longer ones and just cut em with scissors down to 4-5 inches long and stuff em in. Gives a head start and a warm bed for these early chilly nights. I have 25 naturals and have pre nested all of em with pine straw,they like it!

Black Jack

Re: Pine straw in home grown gourds?

Postby Black Jack » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 am

Absolutely not blackjack,you should prenest. Short white pine needles are preferred but here in Louisiana we use the longer ones and just cut em with scissors down to 4-5 inches long and stuff em in. Gives a head start and a warm bed for these early chilly nights. I have 25 naturals and have pre nested all of em with pine straw,they like it!
Thank you PMDavid for the re assurance. Now i can rest better at night.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”