Nature line gourd colony - new crescents

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rbblongview

Nature line gourd colony - new crescents

Postby rbblongview » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 pm

This year, I replaced all my round holes with crescents. I have an established colony with Nature Line gourds. The starlings were winning the war and I was not going to keep finding dead birds in my gourds. I built a wooden porch on the front of the crescent door. I saw my first two martins of the season enter the same crescent this morning but I have not seen them come out. The weather is terrible here today, very rainy and cold. Could they just be staying inside for warmth? I'm afraid they can not get out. I see many people put porches on the inside also, but the Nature Line gourds are not very deep. Has anyone had problems with the the martins not being able to exit the Nature line crescent entrances?

Brad Biddle

Re: Nature line gourd colony - new crescents

Postby Brad Biddle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:22 pm

You said the weather was bad. I wouldn’t bother them. If they got in they can get out.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

rbblongview

Postby rbblongview » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:53 pm

That's the response I was hoping to get! thanks

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 pm

When all else fails, listen to your gut feeling
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I agree, I have them struggle at first to get in a SREH entrance, but then they always seem to pop right out.

TerryW

Postby TerryW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Just before they quit making Naturelines, did they make some entrances with crescents?

I had a bunch of NL's and still have them; they are rejuvenated and are in my shop in storage awaiting installation at my bro's house. They were fun to modify, and of course I stuck a tunnel on them when I put crescents on mine. The ones I have had hung for 12 years at a Game and Fish education site. I took them down a couple month's ago and caulked the joint where they split into two halves because the seal in that area was really sun deteriorated and no longer kept rain water out. I had to replace some of the entrances because my thumb went through the little roof like thingy because it was so sun damaged. Anyway, they are repaired and ready for another 10 years. They remain one of my favorite cavities.

rbblongview

Postby rbblongview » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

They did make crescent entrances years ago. I tried them and the Martins seemed resistant so I caved and put the round holes back on. Now I have no choice but to try them again because the starlings are taking over. I, too, need to do some repair work on them so next season, I'll reinforce the cracks. We've had so much rain this month, I'm sure they are leaking more than ever. Maybe this rain will stop soon and our Georgia sun will come back out!

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Terry, the original NL gourd came with the option of a crescent opening and the NLII had them as well. I don't know if they offered a crescent when they first came out, but they did offer one for many years.

Terry were you still involved on the pmclubhouse when I made the NL gourds from 2 back halves? They had no entrance at all. Just like a plastic natural gourd. I could cut the holes where I wanted and added tunnels and cleanout ports. I still have up probably 40-50 of those gourds, and still have maybe 36 brand new, never assembled ones in the barn, in whats left of the box they came in. I miss being able to drive over to the plant and pick them up, straight off the production line.

TerryW

Postby TerryW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm

I guess I had just forgotten that they offered a crescent.

Brad, two back halves? That's cool! I must have been gone before you did that. That's different from anything I have done. I turned some around so that the entrance it came with was just an access port (covered up the entrance hole with a removable cover). Then I installed an exterior only porch with a crescent and tunnel on the opposite end. On others I installed an exterior porched 90 degree elbow tunnel on the existing entrance side and then installed an access port into it (like a person has to do with a natural gourd). I have pics of these, and in my established colony they worked well, but almost anything works in an established colony.

Gosh, you know the PMCA SG style and Troyer horizontal are so expensive, you would think NL could have kept it going. I would probably have over-obsessed and bought a truckload of NL's if I lived close to their facility. I loved playing with them. Sounds like you did too.

My elbowed tunnels were cool looking, but probably gilded the lily. I didn't stay into it long enough to really determine whether it in fact protects against a "smarter than normal" owl. Doubt there is such a thing... :grin:

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:09 pm

I remember your 90 degree tunnels and made some similar for myself. Mine actually didn’t have a 90 degree angle in the tunnel, the entrance to the inside of the gourd was 9 degrees out from the entrance. I made mine as straight tunnels 6” long and cut the side out of the tunnel on the inside. I still have them hanging. They’ve been in use for probably 15 years. I can’t tell one bit of difference in the preference the Martins show for them. They may be more owl resistant but I haven’t had any owl issues to date.

I stumbled across the two back halves fitting together when I finally figured out that the two halves were made in the same mold. It finally dawned on me when looking at the indention for the door in the solid back piece.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”