REPEATING MARTIN TRAP !!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

REPEATING MARTIN TRAP !!

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:34 pm

So I’ve been hard at work scheming,plotting and making serious modifications. I’ve figured out how to cage live meal worms and live crickets in a clear plexiglass enclosure for bait for the martins. Next,I have re weighted the elevator car to weigh 3.5 quarters,perfect for catching martins! And fixed a micro speaker with daytime chatter just inside the trap as an initial attractant(so they see the crickets) Since I’ve grown over anxious awaiting my martins and Mr. Steve Kroenke has 50 already I’ll be placing the trap on the nearest fence post beside his gourd rack systems!!😂🤣😊🤪🤣😂😆😂😳😳✌️When are they gettin here man!!!!!! I’m hoping he doesn’t spot me slipping across his yard and call Bob to shoot me in the butt with his .22 !!

philsand

Re: REPEATING MARTIN TRAP !!

Postby philsand » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 pm

:grin:

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Just injecting some fun and laughs guys while everyone is on pins and needles bout their birds getting back

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm

You had me going as I read the first part of your post. I thought you were going to start banding your own Martins. :) Did you make any headway with the licensed bird banding gal?

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:01 am

Hey dean, no I haven’t heard back from her yet,or an email . I think I may try to call her today or tomorrow. I think I’m gonna for sure drop her a mail today. She was all excited right outa the gate,maybe her colleagues shut it all down idk. I did give her a name or two of folks around here (in state) with large colonies she may have been in touch with them ,again idk. There is a Central Louisiana purple Martin enthusiasts group here and I gave her that lady’s name. Gonna drop her a mail.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Good day Dean.......I shot mrs Katie a mail about the banding martins . Her reply was.....I am going to check with my supervisor and the master bander today who I am sub permitted under to see if they are ordering enough bands to get some on martins this year and will get back to you ASAP. So I would say it could be possible to hear back from her this week since it’s only Tuesday. Keep your eyes peeled for this post topic to come back up as I will alert you to her answer,hopefully they will be able to do it thanks for your interest. David.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Sounds promising, at least she is still working on it. I will stay tuned for the rest of the story.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Had me wondering! Kept reading Martin trap and had me stumped, good one! Im sure steve will be on the lookout now, cats out of the bag. Best to approach at night. Have a friend do it? ☺
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Hah! Gotcha C.C and Dean......just pullin some fun,seems like a lul in the birds coming. Going motorcycle riding and Mardi gras this weekend supposed to be sunny. Maybe I’ll come home and find some martins circling ? I’m surprised Steve hasn’t gimme a come back on trapping his martins! My neighbor says not to worry it’s usually bout the last of February,first of March and they’ll be here. Y’all stay in touch .

Steve Kroenke

Postby Steve Kroenke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:24 am

Hey David,

Don't mess with my martins! LOL!

Over the last several days, more martins have arrived at our two personal martin colonies in northwest Louisiana, mine and my neighbor Bob. We had some south winds and warm temperatures. It has become impossible to count them and so I am just giving a rather crude estimate. But I believe I have over 50 martins in now and all 17 of my gourd racks and Trendsetters have martins. Bob now has about 20+ martins in his houses/gourds. Usually by the end of February we have 100+ martins in residence at our two colonies.

Today and tomorrow, February 19 and 20, the weather will significantly change from the previous warm weather to cold and rainy. Nasty stuff! We had this weather just the other week. But the martins should be OK and they survived the other weather ordeal.

On Facebook folks have been reporting martin arrivals all over Louisiana now so yours should be coming home any day now.

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Hey pmdavid, I bet you would look good on that Harley wearing full Martin plumage in a Mardi Gras parade. If you decide to do it I need pictures. :) :)

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:47 am

Nah dean I better not do that. You know those Harley folks got an image to maintain and I might get dishoned if show up all covered in feathers! And them feathers would stink when they are fell off and singed on them exhaust pipes! Pew. On another note though I did get the trap set......on the outskirts of Steve’s set up. By the time he figures it out I expect to have already made off with a significant number of martins and be GONE!!!!!!Ha

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Never knew I was there....pure stealth!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”