Nature does need man

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Nature does need man

Postby phldave » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 am

On CBS Sunday morning Harrison Ford made the comment that nature doesn’t need man, man needs nature. I know he meant well, but we all know that if man doesn’t remember nature, many species on this planet are in real trouble. Including our beloved Purple Martins that are so dependent on us.
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Man and Nature

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:39 pm

I watched the whole interview and cannot wait to see this latest movie version of "The Call of the Wild".
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, HOSP/EUST Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Brad Biddle

Re: Nature does need man

Postby Brad Biddle » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:05 am

I guess this won’t be a popular opinion but I don’t think Purple Martins are dependent on us. Purple Martins at the numbers they are today, are dependent on us but their numbers are likely among the highest during the last 200 years that they’ve ever been, due to people providing man made housing. I do not think at all that they would go extinct if all their man made housing was taken down tomorrow. Their numbers would drop sharply but I feel confident that the species would survive. Nature finds a way.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

brent

Postby brent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I saw the interview too. I think what he meant was that without nature we could not exist. He is an environmentalist and his message is we need to protect our natural environment. I don't use any insecticides or harsh chemicals and do every thing I can to contribute to the "save our environment" philosophy. I could only wonder what the environment would be like if man were not part of the picture. Just think for a moment.

Brent

phldave

Postby phldave » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:29 pm

I only wish we could get the younger generation as excited about our Purple Martins, as some of them are on the environment and nature in general. My hopes are that those of us that are lucky enough to have colonies, can expose enough younger folks to these amazing creatures, to get them excited about becoming a part of their care. Believe you me, if I could get a start at my place, I would share that experience with all that show so much as a thread of interest. Because we all know, that once you have held a young PM in your hand, and watched them soar, or listened to them, if you have any kind of heart you're going to be hooked.
Dave
2012 late start
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again

brent

Postby brent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 pm

PHLDave,

Well said my friend. My biggest hope and ambition is to influence others to see the wonderful nature of the Purple Martin.

Brent

avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Postby avesrun » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:52 am

Hello PHLDave- sure hope the Martin's find and stay at your place in 2020! Meanwhile you know you're welcome to help out again this season at PM Lake satellite site. I greatly appreciated your help last season! If you happen to be visiting early and spot an early arrival martin please let me know. Last season first observed arrival was March 29. I just put owl cages up on the poles yesterday!.
TimG
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair, fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair, fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair, 163 fledged
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged

Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-couple of visitors
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors I've had so far

Postby Bird Brain » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:12 pm

Here's Harrison Ford getting on his carbon spewing private jet.
https://static.becomegorgeous.com/img/a ... te_jet.jpg

Here's Harrison Ford in his carbon spewing private helicopter.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11 ... Ford_f.jpg

He spews out a hundred times more carbon than most of us.
And he's lecturing me?
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

phldave

Postby phldave » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Hello PHLDave- sure hope the Martin's find and stay at your place in 2020! Meanwhile you know you're welcome to help out again this season at PM Lake satellite site. I greatly appreciated your help last season! If you happen to be visiting early and spot an early arrival martin please let me know. Last season first observed arrival was March 29. I just put owl cages up on the poles yesterday!.
TimG
Tim, Saw your post on FB. Can't say you're not trying to protect um. Almost done with my new 6 piece house. Still need to make the 4 gourd attachments on the bottom of the house, and a new antenna like big perch on the top, and the cable connection at the top of the house. Its just got to be a good year, I can feel it. My wife passed the hint that she was tired of everything being in the laundry room in the basement, which is where I was working this winter, so I moved everything back to the garage. Up and down the stairs I was worn out, so didn't do anything on the project yesterday.
See ya soon,
Dave
2012 late start
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:29 am

Hi Dave and Tim, (Iowa guys),
Thanks for the thread Dave. See you two at Kalona.
Duit
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”