Owl in duck box

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
TS Wilson

I have a wood duck box in the water about 150 feet from my martin housing. Late yesterday I noticed a barn owl peering out the hole. Is there harm in allowing him to stay or should I "encourage" him to move elsewhere? I've not had any owl predation in the 5 year history of this colony.
Terry
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

You should count your lucky stars. Barn owls are a blessing and don't bother martins that I'm aware of. I read they can eat around 2000 rats per year. I would add another house just for it and make it higher obviously. Eliminate your rat poison and let it do its thing. Here's a good one.

http://coveside.com/_store/card_view.asp?itemnr=10180
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Lucky! Very nice!
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!
Brad Biddle

A friend of mine had a colony wiped out by Barn Owls. I didn't see the owls, but he called them Barn Owls and his description fit. They may not normally prey on birds but a Martin colony is a buffet sitting there for the taking. I'd close up the duck box and make it move.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
gray fox

I have tried for about 30 years to get barn owls. I have a Martin colony close too the barn. If I got barn owls I would put up owl guards on the gourds. Barn owls are more endangered than martins.
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

That’s funny because we had the opposite happen. A black bellied whistling duck went into our owl house high up on an oak tree. She laid one egg, got stuck inside and couldn’t get out. My husband had to take the bottom portion of the house off to make room for her to get out. He has never put it back on so no owls or ducks in it now :lol:
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Is it a barn owl or a barred owl? I'm just not sure I'd take the chance. If she's nesting, she'll have little owlets to feed and will go for easy food sources. If there are no eggs, I'd evict her.

Either way, this came from the allaboutbirds website:
Barn Owls eat mostly small mammals, particularly rats, mice, voles, lemmings, and other rodents; also shrews, bats, and rabbits. Most of the prey they eat are active at night, so squirrels and chipmunks are relatively safe from Barn Owls. They occasionally eat birds such as starlings, blackbirds, and meadowlarks. Nesting Barn Owls sometimes store dozens of prey items at the nest site while they are incubating to feed the young once they hatch.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bar ... story#food
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

I've seen many legitimate complaints on this site about Barred owls and Great Horned owls raiding sights. I don't recall any similar complaints about screech owls or barn owls.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.