Repeating sparrow traps.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mike Mack

After just two years of not staying on top of s and s control my sparrow population has exploded. Would like to know how many of y'all use the repeating traps, and any secrets to success.
rrmartins

I have the best luck from now, till they start wanting to breed, with millet. After that, it slows down and they like the nest box traps better. I put feathers and nesting material in it and still catch a few, but they prefer the house trap better. Good luck.
Last edited by rrmartins on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
flyin-lowe

I've had mixed luck with them. It's been very hit and miss. I might go 3-4 weeks with nothing then catch 10-15 over a couple of days, then a few more weeks with nothing. The best "bait" I ever had was a young sparrow that fledged to early that I found fluttering around my yard from somewhere. I put it in the trap and caught 11 that day within a few hours. Once you catch the first one they will draw others in.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
brent

I've had good luck. Last year I caught over 100 using white bread and keep a couple alive as decoys. This was in March. I set it last week and caught only 4 but one of them was a male that was visiting the martin houses all too often so it was a good catch. My neighbors, who no longer speak with me since they saw that I was catching sparrows, feed them with cheap bird feed. I'm not catching them as much. After the last four I haven't caught one. But they are there. Soon their feeders will be empty but I will have the trap ready. Once I catch one I keep it in the trap and it will draw more.

Good luck,

Brent
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

If any of your neighbors have bird feeders, they prefer that over squirming into your death trap. If your trap is the only food around, then you might have success. Gourd traps and pellet gun only thing that works for me.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
Mike Mack

Thanks for all the replys and good info. Shooting has allways been my main deterant but just ready for a little bit more control.
Slh566

Oh my gosh, it works! Caught 3 on the first morning by 10 a.m. I struggled with HOSP for years. Finally broke down and bought the repeating bait trap. Soooooo glad I did. Thanks
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

If your neighbors have bird feeders, forget about the repeating traps. Who can blame them? Why go through all the maneuvers required by a repeating sparrow trap, when all I need to do is land on the neighbors bird feeder safely hung high in the air and eat to my hearts content? Eventually, your martin housing will lure them away from the neighbors bird feeder, providing you with dispatch opportunities.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
Peter Alberda
Martin Colony History: Started with Amish copy of Trendsetter 12 room house, added Trio Grandpa with expanded rooms, and North Star 8. Taking Trendsetter down this spring and adding gourd rack.

Now is the best time of the year to trap. Catch one and you get the whole family. Sounds heartless but sparrows are not nice either. If you have an empty trap, sprinkle ground corn or chicken feed next to your trap. When that runs out they will go for your corn in your trap. Put plent on all parts of the trap and you will clean up. If you don’t have a trap, put feed within perfect ranges of your shotgun and you can start 5-10 with one shot.
2020 - A pair of SY birds with three nice chicks. Lots of visitors all year long.
2015-2019 - A few lookers.
2014 - ASY male and SY female fledged four chicks.
2013 - Several visitors but none stayed to nest.
2012 - Lots of visitors all season long. We had a pair of sys but no chicks survived.
2011 - New location - A few visitors
2010 - First year – Poor house location.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Peter is correct.
Just fledged HOSP are very naive and inexperienced. They are easy to trap this time of the year. Their fellow nest mates will follow them into the repeating trap. The parents will respond to the cheeping of the HOSP fledglings and get trapped also.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Peter Alberda
Martin Colony History: Started with Amish copy of Trendsetter 12 room house, added Trio Grandpa with expanded rooms, and North Star 8. Taking Trendsetter down this spring and adding gourd rack.

I use all of the traps made. Balance, cone, S&S, two compartment, two traps made for a trio, and a V-Top. The big trap I set in a pasture of mine which is across the road from a big pig and dairy operation. I’m sitting here watching my one pair of martins come and go and have NO sparrows and starlings around. Zero. All I hear is beautiful native birds. But I work at it all year long. Right now is the best time to get sparrows due to all the babies.
2020 - A pair of SY birds with three nice chicks. Lots of visitors all year long.
2015-2019 - A few lookers.
2014 - ASY male and SY female fledged four chicks.
2013 - Several visitors but none stayed to nest.
2012 - Lots of visitors all season long. We had a pair of sys but no chicks survived.
2011 - New location - A few visitors
2010 - First year – Poor house location.
Cjs180

The babies are around now. I have shot at least 6 in the past week.