Question about my new Trendsetter...

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Question about my new Trendsetter...

Postby T-Bird » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:48 pm

I recently put up a new Trendsetter 12 (First time landlord). It came with removable wire mesh inserts on the floors of the individual cavities. I additionally purchased the nest boxes that you can use inside the cavities.

My question is, do I leave the wire mesh flooring inside, and just place the nest trays on top of them, or do I take the mesh flooring out before I put the nest boxes inside the cavities? With the mesh flooring underneath my trays, it looks like it makes it a little more difficult for martins to get inside the crescent opening.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

brent

Re: Question about my new Trendsetter...

Postby brent » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi and welcome. You need to remove the wire mesh and use only the nest trays. If you didn't have the nest trays you would use the wire mesh. I had the same question last year when I purchased nest trays. I love the trays since they make nest checks easier and add some protection for our birds. The birds love them too. So good to hear from you. This is a great forum. Again, welcome!!!!

Brent

daveh

Postby daveh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am

I made my nest trays for my Trendsetter 26 and place them on top of the mesh screens. I think the trays will stay drier being on the screens and not on the floors. I've done this since day one, about 8 years.

Dave
PMCA member

brent

Postby brent » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 am

Really Dave? I thought of doing the same but noticed the mesh screen would raise my trays above the entry level making it difficult or impossible for the birds to enter. I did consult with the makers of the Trendsetters and they told me to take the screens out and replace them with the trays. Hmmm Might look at it again.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 am

I made my nest trays for my Trendsetter 26 and place them on top of the mesh screens. I think the trays will stay drier being on the screens and not on the floors. I've done this since day one, about 8 years.

Dave
Do your trays come all the way up to the entrance whole, and do they make it more difficult for the birds to enter the cavity ? Are they the same size as what Trendsetter offers? Trying to get some clarity.

daveh

Postby daveh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:40 am

T-Bird, They do not extend to the entrances. They are made with 1/4 inch thick wood, are aprox. 5 3/4 w x 6 1/4 l. They are a wood floor and a wood front that is 1 1/4 inches tall measured from inside the tray. The sides and backs are wrapped with 3 inch tall aluminum flashing. I had a nail protruding out the bottom of each tray to hook into the mesh so that the trays wouldn't move forward when birds fought inside or maybe a strong wind blowing thru. Some of my trays don't have nails and they seem to do just fine. Birds seem to like the trays. You can save some money by building trays yourself. I really believe trays on top of the mesh wire will keep babies drier especially during a violent wind and rain storm.

Dave
PMCA member

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 am

Does anyone here currently have a trendsetter with crescent openings who use the manufacturers nesting trays on top of the wire mesh sub flooring? And how is it working out for you?

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Ok. Got word from the manufacturer that the mesh wire floors are supposed to come out when you add the nesting trays.

John Miller

Postby John Miller » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 am

Longtime users of Trendsetters here. Yes, remove the subfloors to use the factory nest trays because as you observe the entry would otherwise be blocked.

Want to add that one also needs to clear debris from under the factory wood trays when doing nest checks, otherwise it can raise the trays as well and obstruct the entrance.

Trendsetters look to me like a martin house otta' look! Enjoy them.
John M

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”