Martin House Gourd Seed Source?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Paul318

Postby Paul318 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Hello, I am new to all this. I am looking for a good source of Martin House Gourd seed. I see a few online sellers. Are the ones sold by Jung Seed a good strain, anyone know? I read these make a good size gourd that the martins prefer. I have a garden every year so I thought why not grow some. Any help is much appreciated.

Brad Biddle

Re: Martin House Gourd Seed Source?

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 am

Since the forum doesn't allow messages to be sent from member to member, I have no way to contact you other than posting my email address. I can't remember the log in for my "junk" email account and the only other one I have is my business email, so I don't want to post it. I have a very good strain of "Martin" gourds. I spent years improving this strain of seed that I got from a Martin landlord who had Martins his entire adult life. (He was around 80 when I got the seed) I will be glad to send you seed, if you'll mail me a SASE. If you'll provide an email addy, I'll send you my contact info. Same goes for anyone else.

If anyone sees this who responded on my "I haven't forgotten how to grow gourds" thread, please provide your email address here.

These are some of this years crop:

Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 am

Brad,
I tried on the last topic to email you through your provided email that is inaccessible to you.
Thanks for the response.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, HOSP/EUST Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Three SY males seen in 10 years.

Postby Ryan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Did you get my bubble envelope brad?
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June and built a nest. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting tired of updating this list.

Paul318

Postby Paul318 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks Brad, I would really appreciate that! Those gourds sure look very nice! My email is pdmann76@yahoo.com

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Did you get my bubble envelope brad?
Yes it finally arrived last week!

Mark and Paul, emails to you.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Brad,
Thanks for the response. Email received.
SASE padded envelope like Ryan mentioned?
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, HOSP/EUST Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Brad Biddle

Re:

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Brad,
Thanks for the response. Email received.
SASE padded envelope like Ryan mentioned?
Yes, it needs to be padded to keep the seed from poking through the envelope.

The gourds are almost dry. I will probably cut a couple open for "mailing" seed this week. I'll let the seeds dry for a couple weeks before putting them in the envelopes.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Brad, if you’ve still got some seed to spare I’d sure appreciate some . My mail is ......
davidhsydneyh@icloud.com
I’ll wait to hear from you as to what to do. Thanks

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 pm

David, I grew 24 good, large gourds from the old stock seed I have. I will have enough seed to share with at least 100 people. I just sent you an email. For any of you who are sending SASE's. I will probably send 20-30 seed per envelope unless you request more or less seed. You can grow 100's of gourds with 25 gourd seeds. LOL Also, if you plant these seed and some ornamental gourds on the same place, the seeds in the Martin gourds that you grow will be cross pollinated. When you plant those, you'll have no idea what you'll wind up with. My point is... If you want to continue to grow good Martin gourds, just plant these seed. Not seed from multiple types of gourds.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks Brad, I don’t have ant other seeds so the seed stock you send will be the sole stock growing and not exposed to any other. I appreciate it man and I’m gonna give it a try! Will get an envelope in route ASAP . Thank you so much,catch ya later.
David.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”