OFF TOPIC/ Superbowl

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

OFF TOPIC/ Superbowl

Postby deancamp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:51 pm

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to go off topic, but I can't control myself. GO CHIEFS!!! I'm so wound up, I can't even focus on Martins.

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Re: OFF TOPIC/ Superbowl

Postby T-Bird » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Being born and raised in the Dallas area, I am definitely pulling for the Chiefs!

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:44 pm

After all its:
Attachments
Attach13435_20200201_174738.jpg
Attach13435_20200201_174738.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Paul318

Postby Paul318 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Pulling for the Chiefs since my ‘Aints did not make it. LoL!

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Welome aboard, everyone is welcome on this train!

mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Postby mwren » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 pm

I like both of these teams in the Super Bowl so it will be a stress free game to watch for me. Enough stress and excitement this college football season following our home town hero lead the LSU Tigers to the national championship and the Heisman.
Enjoy the last football game of the year!
Mike "Bird" Wren

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:24 am

Gooooo chiefs!!!!! My Ma homey is gonna show em what a REAL SPANKING feels like!! Gotta support somebody since our saints didn’t make it through. And I hate to say it Mr. wren........ burrow is now Burreaux,somebody in Ohio “dropped” the ball for a big fumble when they let that young man slip away! What a true gladiator! We were proud to have him. I got a smooth $20 on the chiefs ,anybody want the 40 whiners,which is what they will be doin after THE SPANKING........ahhhhh the trash talk!

mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Postby mwren » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:01 am

You are right about someone dropped the ball up here in Ohio, but I can guarrantee you that it was not anyone around Athens who have been following Geaux Burreaux since he was in the 9th grade! That mistake was made approx.80 miles up the highway by the Suckeyes. Urban wanted to try to keep both Joey and Haskins by not declaring a starter after spring football, and the Burreaux family was smart enough to make a move, and boy did it work out for us and the Tigers !! Joe has signed with the same agent/company that handles Drew Brees. It would be awesome if he could somehow end up with Saints! The Bengals are not committed to building a winner, and never have been, so we hope someone will put a deal together where Joey can prosper.
Mike "Bird" Wren

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:13 pm

10-4 mike. We were fortunate he landed here! I didn’t know about him signing and all. That’s great! I’m not a sports follower except for our tigers and saints......I did see where brees is possibly entertaining the thought of retiring. Man wouldn’t that be sweet! Brees retires and burreaux moves in. I think though they may be obligated to use that other guy for a starter,you never know what’ll happen. That young man is sooooo good and deserves to be somewhere that will cultivate and utilize him. So about the $20...........any takers.....c’mon guys scared money don’t win!

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

I've never when back and looked at the stats but it seems in my memory the underdog seems to when a out of these games. I prefer an AFC win but seems like all the hype is on Mahomes which means the 49ers might take it.
2020 (HOSP Count 2)
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:00 pm

50 years since the last Superbowl. We are due. Go Chiefs!

Dave
PMCA member

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Man.....!!!!!! If there was such a thing as “smell mail” and y’all could smell this big fat juicy Boston butt I just took outa the pecan smoked filled pit that’s been slow cookin since I left riding this morning......you’d jump in ur truck and ride on over!!!!!mmmmmnnnnnnn. And sweet taters,dirty rice and buck balls,homemade pecan pie.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:02 pm

You know it takes me longer than a hour to get there. Why didn't you say something yesterday? Party on!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:24 pm

Dean LMAO!!!!! Sorry...more notice next time

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Congrats to Andy Reid and the KC Chiefs!!!!!

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Bam Baby! Don't know what else to say.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”