Central Louisiana- first arrival !

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Central Louisiana- first arrival !

Postby PMDavid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:40 am

Well as some of you know I have started a satellite program at Petrie feed and seed. First was to clean out the heavily infested sparrows in the house and close the holes. Then I have begun trapping with a repeater. I have conducted a daily watch for martins as they seem to be some of the earliest returning ones in this area. Guess what was sitting on the porch this morning! Yep one ASY male! So I hurried to work got the ladder and went back and opened three holes and one gourd. He spooked off when I went up the ladder so I’ll assume he’ll return. It’s a start......very excited over it all. Maybe they’ll show up at my house right down the road next. Will be checking back on him this afternoon.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Re: Central Louisiana- first arrival !

Postby Dave Reynolds » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am

...PMDavid.... Let's hope he returns.... Have a great 2020 season.. :grin: :grin:

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — First pair, 5 Eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — They are on the way. :wink:

PMCA Member

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”