How Many Decoys Should I Utilize For an Attraction Aid?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-couple of visitors
2019-nothing
2020-Removed 2 trees. Raised height of housing. Offering 12 Chirpy Nests, 8 Troyer Verticals, and 4 Troyer Horizontals. Playing Daytime Chatter C.D. this year and added a couple of decoys on rack. Smeared mud around the entrances. Will see what happens.

How Many Decoys Should I Utilize For an Attraction Aid?

Postby Bird Brain » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm

I know many use decoys to divert hawks away from their martins. I'm not quite to that level yet. How many decoys should I put on my gourd rack to attract that first pair? Should I put them on the perch rods or the gourd arms? When do I take them down? Should I use decoys at all? I've heard some on here say that decoys scared their martins. These decoys didn't come with instructions. Thoughts?
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Re: How Many Decoys Should I Utilize For an Attraction Aid?

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Birdbrain, i will use decoys on a satelite location. Seems to me they will be efective during a hawk attack. Some folks put them on the hose clamp ends to bounce around and attract the attack.
I plan on using mine to attract the martins and when they arrive and martins seem to distrust them ill take them down...served their purpose.
To attract hawks away i use the dove decoys. Makes a bigger target.
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Postby jhcox » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 pm

I have 1 or 2 on each gourd rack and they have taken some hard hits from the hawks and I only had 10 pair last year and a few males with out mates. And all the birds were very comfortable with them to the point that they would perch on top of the decoys head. Hope this helps have a great year.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:40 pm

The first time my founding ASY male was seen, he was setting by a decoy I had on a perch rod a short distance from the housing. The dawn song was playing directly underneath the perch. I have never noticed any birds showing a negative reaction to them. I like the idea of placing them where they are most visible and looks natural.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”