The RAT BIRD TRAP works

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

The RAT BIRD TRAP works

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:50 pm

This what you call making progress! Trap was placed out Saturday at dark and checked Sunday about noon. Works great!
Attachments
CB1EC6C9-9361-4BD6-A785-DA5DC7349FD0.jpeg
CB1EC6C9-9361-4BD6-A785-DA5DC7349FD0.jpeg (245.18 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
B90926B0-9514-46F2-9338-75797CFC98AB.jpeg
B90926B0-9514-46F2-9338-75797CFC98AB.jpeg (196.42 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

deancamp

Re: The RAT BIRD TRAP works

Postby deancamp » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 pm

The band Journey once told me, Don't Stop Believing. :)

brent

Postby brent » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Hey PMDavid,

What did you use to bait the trap. Getting ready to put mine out and have used white bread which works fine. I bought a repeating bait trap here at the PMCA shop. I'd like to build one like yours though. That looks really well made. Good job!

Brent

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair moving into 2020 almost double pairs from 2019. Still have most of the month of March to go for new arrivals and April.

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks dean,oh I believe!! When I checked it around noon I think I had 8-9 didn’t count real close. Looked at pic and I think it was 8. When I got there I saw three sittin on the closed up house. So this even after the first ball game I went up the road and retrieved the KILLA trap and had 11. So I’m gonna say that was the three I saw sittin up there at noon. And come to look around up there there may not really be but only a couple left. They don’t have feed scattered around outside ,by the loading dock or anywhere! I may have caught the sole mob that lived in the house. I’m gonna put it back and see if I get more. Probably will. But I’m gonna stay on point with it. Keep watch and stay in touch.
David

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Hey there Brent and thanks for the compliment on craftsmanship. It was quite easy to make . Made it totally free from a few scraps of 3/4” plywood ,a small piece of ceiling grid wire ,and I knew where some hardware cloth and a piece of light schedule 20 pvc was at in the edge of a field right by my house. I do have access to the carpenter shop at work cause I work in maintenance at the hospital here,and am classified as carpenter. A table saw is sure nice in this case to be able to just zip out the few pieces needed. The wire I found just so happened to be 1/2” x 24”. Perfect you need about a 5’ long piece of that due to making the elevator car and surrounding the bait tray,. I could explain it here but it would be way too long . I saw a dude I think on you tube that has a three part video on how to make it. It’s really easy. The only thing I changed was the weight on the counter balance. Instead of it being set for three quarters weight to make it drop,I made it drop at two quarters. I baited with regular ole bird seed like put in a bird feeder. Standby and I’m gonna look for the video and send you the info to find it. Oh I also changed the pipe. He added and elbow ,and I just removed half of it for a few inches up each end and gained the clearance he was after by using the elbow. I think it worked out better that way. Standby I’m gonna look for it.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Man, well good! I feel better about those martins chances. Very nice job on that trap. I think you down played your skills! You put it together quick. Best i did was 4 at once, after weeks of trying.
The martins will thank you!
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks CC, I think it’s got something to do with the balance on the elevator,I set it to a bit lighter than instructed. It was easy to make as I had the shop to work in and a finish nail gun and a pneumatic stapler to put on the wire. I think I caught the whole mob that was inhabiting the house because there aren’t anymore sittin around on it. We’ll see...I’m gonna stay after it. If you have a table saw you can make every cut with that,even splitting the pvc on the end,just do that by hand.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:46 pm

BRENT. BRENT. BRENT...........
The video is on you tube,put in..........How to build a sparrow trap part 1.wmv
The dudes “handle” on there is bruntdog. There is parts 1-3 each explaining all the details. I wrote down measurements and wrote a few notes,and the made those two small changes I mentioned . You can do it ,it was easy.
A quick parts list from memory is; This is all 3/4” plywood
3-8”x 16” pcs
4-4”x 5” pcs
2-3”x 3”
1pc. 1/4”x 24” hardware cloth about 5’ long
1pc 1-1/4” sched 20 pvc. Because it’s light.
1pc of stiff wire about 4” long. 1/8” dia. Stiff
1. 1/4” x 1” or so bolt for counter weight,and 3-4 washers to fit,get some smaller one also. I used fender washers and drilled the hole to 1/4” to fit the bolt. He also recommended to make the elevator drop with three quarters,I made mine drop with two. It would hold up one quarter but drop with two. Fine tune it to that with the smaller washers.
And 1 small piece of clear plexiglass about 3”x 3” for the door into the holding area,which I hung on small finish nails bent rounded with needle nose pliers. Pilot hole for them so they tap in easily then bend with the pliers. If you wanna get some detailed up close pics let me know and we can trade emails or phone #s and can help ya out with that. Let know if you find it or need any questions answered or pics,glad to help ya

Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-couple of visitors
2019-nothing
2020-Removed 2 trees. Raised height of housing. Offering 12 Chirpy Nests, 8 Troyer Verticals, and 4 Troyer Horizontals. Playing Daytime Chatter C.D. this year and added a couple of decoys on rack. Smeared mud around the entrances. Will see what happens.

Postby Bird Brain » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 pm

Great job. You are having better luck than I ever did. My repeating bait trapped worked well at first. Then, it stopped working completely. It's almost like they wised up to it. Only thing that works for me now is pellet gun from behind a fence.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks bird brain, it seemed to do well on its first run. I’m gonna leave it at home for a day or so and observe and see if a new batch of birds show up around the Martin house . Probably put it back out in a day or two.
Brent ..... if you look up ....how to build a sparrow trap by bruntdog.....it will take you straight to all three videos.

brent

Postby brent » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Thanks PMDavid. I'll check it out. Got cold here, hugh? I"ve lined my martin trays with pine needles. Once they start to arrive they'll have all the comforts of home. :grin:

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey Brent, yeah man it is cold! I did look that up ................”how to build a sparrow trap by bruntdog” just like that and it’ll go straight to all three parts. I pre nested with pine straw last week or so I’m all ready also. I see a report yesterday in marksville,la. That’s just about 25 or so miles SW of me. I expect birds in less than 2wks. A lot of the reports this are early by a week or two going the 2019 arrivals of the same places,I have cross checked a lot of em so far. Holler at me if you need something,..........David

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Congrats on the success. I had a similar trap and it was hit and miss. I would go weeks with nothing, then I might catch 5 or 6 in a day. Then 5 or 6 the next day and then nothing for several weeks. Once you get the first one they will draw other in.
The best bait I ever had was a young HOSP that was about to fledge. I found one fluttering across my yard that couldn't quite fly. I put it in the trap and had 11 or 12 within an hour or so.
2020 (HOSP Count 2)
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Steve Kroenke

Postby Steve Kroenke » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:19 pm

David,

Great news! The bait trap is working like clockwork!

At my boyhood purple martin colony I had many house sparrows problems. I used one of those Trio traps (non-repeating) wire traps and baited it with white bread as food and feathers as nesting material. And both worked. Sparrows love feathers to place in the nesting chamber of their nest. I remember putting chicken feathers in the trap from my Grandparent's chicken coop and the sparrows couldn't resist temptation! Caught a number of sparrows using feathers.

So keep up the good work and eliminate as many sparrows as you can!

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks Lowe and Steve, I took the trap home last night to “relocate” 👹 the birds. I’m gonna watch for a day or so and see how much more activity i see and then put it back. I’m sure I caught all the mob that was occupying the house. I may set up around the side or something when I reset. Gonna scout the situation. I may even make a pitch to those folks and see if they wanna carry a couple of those traps for sale,who knows. I figure set one up in store with some “derogatory “ info on sparrows and a pic of it with occupants.......SOLD! I can get everything free again except the wire,gonna check on the cost of that.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Ok made a pass through the feed store and saw three rat birds. Heading over there at dark and place out the “relocator”. I still have not asked the folks if it was ok ,I think I’m just gonna put it,and if they call about it I’m just gonna answer that the sparrows need to go in order to succeed in gettin the martins to return. And that I’m relocating them to a “better” place.....well it is isn’t it?

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”