Pellet guns...What do you own or recommend?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jogl

Re: Pellet guns...What do you own or recommend?

Postby jogl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:50 am

T-Bird, those nice PCP are sweet but I hardly use mine because I am kind of hard on them. We are on a farm and the air rifle I am carrying always ends up laying on the ground or up against a tree or something. So the expensive ones stay in the safe.

4th Gen, the Beeman is a 1040. My father in law gave it to me, said it was no good, couldn't even hit a grackle with it. It came with interchangeable 0.177 and 0.22 barrels. I put the 0.22 on it along with a 4 x 32 low end scope and realized how much fun it was inside of 20 yds.

I shouldn't have used the word sniper in reference to myself. Quarter size groupings at 25 yds would be quite an accomplishment for me with any rifle. Back yard plinker is probably a better description.

What I would like to try next is a 0.25 calibre that I can set the velocity on. Those would be even easier to see flying and would pack a little more hit power.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Best way is with a scuba tank, and have it filled at a paint ball place, or dive shop. You can get a tank for around $100, and filling it costs about $8. They are usually aluminum, and if you wish to pay more $$ you can get a carbon fiber tank that will hold more air, thus allow more fills for your rifle. They cost $400 on up.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Beeman 1040 - Spanish vs. Shanghai production

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm

jogl,
If your Beeman 1040 air rifle was an earlier model produced in Spain, then quality control was good and your 1040 would be qualified as a good, inexpensive air rifle.
If your Beeman 1040 was produced after 2010 in the current Shanghai plant, then quality control may not as stringent and there can be some variation in how well a 1040 shoots.
Bottom line, don't call your Beeman 1040 a "cheap" air rifle. It depends how it shoots. Your experience suggests you have a good air rifle which is serving you well.
Beware of one person shooting one rifle. Sometimes experience with a particular rifle can out do everything else. Especially when good results in the field occur.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

MartinBro

Postby MartinBro » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:34 pm

I never could master that artillery hold either. I got rid of that thing and bought another springer that didn't require a special hold. Best pellet gun decision I ever made.

Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

Postby Curtis Reil » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:32 am

I played around with springer break barrels a bit and that was an effort in futility. No matter what I tried I was not satisfied. Then tried a side cocking springer, which was much better but still not what I needed. Bought a PCP and all was right in the universe. I bought a Weihrauch HW100T in .22 cal. On a perfect day, I can shoot the brass on the bottom of empty 12 gauge shot gun shells at 100yards. 25 yards it will put pellet on top of pellet. 177 would do the job on birds just fine. There are PCP’s that exist which you can adjust pressure delivery from the cylinder so velocity is reduced or increased to your desire within a couple of predetermined set points.

As stated, try several pellets of varying design and weight. Also, I’d recommend shooting at distance while selecting your pellet. Some will shoot fantastic at short range but then lose stability as the distance increases and accuracy suffers. What shoots great at 10 or 15 yards may go to crap at 20 or 25 yards etc.

Velocity equating to accuracy in the 177 vs 22 or 25 cal is bogus for the most part. Pellet design and weight(what your barrel likes) will have a much greater influence on accuracy than velocity will. Providing barrel twist rate is appropriate.

GFB
Martin Colony History: I Started my first colony with my father in the late 1960's. Started building custom vinyl Martin houses last year 2018 and was successful with 10 birds fledged and it looks like several dozen birds are hanging around. Time to expand.
2018: 1 T-14 and 6 gourds. Fledged 10
2019: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 70

Postby GFB » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:25 am

Great topic and important for some landlords. I've been using older pellet guns such as the Sheridan pump blue streak .20 cal open sights that I haven no idea how old it is. It's lite and shoots a 14.3 gr pellet at around 650fps, its a great gun! I also use a 1986 made in England, scoped Beeman Kodiak .22 break barrel that shoots JSB jumbo heavy 18.3gr pelletes that I can hit a clay pigeon at 100yrds at over 1000fps every time, with a tripod, that I like even more but it's heavy. I would like to step up to a PCP and have been doing a lot of research and I,m leaning towards the Daystate huntsman XL regulated .22cal. I tried one out at an air gun show and it fit me perfectly. The gun is nice looking, extremely accurate,lite but expensive! around $1250 for the gun an extra $350 for a quality scope plus I would need an air tank, $300, that I could get filled at local paint ball gun shop. I was told that I can get around 70 shots per fill. I retired this year and just love my martins all I can say is you only live once, so I'm going for it even if it puts me in the poor house.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am

I never could master that artillery hold either. I got rid of that thing and bought another springer that didn't require a special hold. Best pellet gun decision I ever made.
What pellet rifle did you have that you had trouble with?? Which one did you get that works better for you? All springers should be equal to the shooter, unless there was something deficient with the rifle. Many springers have horrible triggers that really impair the precise shooting that you need to hit a sparrow at 30 yards. Gamo rifles come to mind. They are decent air rifles, but the triggers are possibly the worst I have ever experienced. If you have a Gamo, google "CharlieDaTuna", and look at his website about triggers for Gamo rifles. For $30 you can get a replacement trigger for your rifle that will make it shoot like a rifle that you spent many more $$ for. You will thank me for it.
ALL springers shoot best with the artillery hold, regardless of make or brand of rifle. Basically the artillery hold is just allowing the rifle to recoil while holding it, and not trying to have a tight "death grip" on it. It's the opposite of shooting a regular high powered rifle where you grip the stock with both hands (pistol grip and foreend) and hold onto it tightly to control it.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:33 am

Also, you really need a scope on your rifle to get the best accuracy. HOWEVER, if you have a springer air-rifle don't go to WalMart and buy a $29 scope and put it on the rifle. It might last a shot or two, but rifle scopes are designed to withstand the recoil of a rifle, but a springer will rattle it to pieces because the springer recoils forward (when the internal piston hits the end of the chamber) and rearward from normal recoil. Regular scopes are not designed to hold up to that.
Purchase a scope designed for "air rifles". Hawke scopes are extremely durable, reasonably priced, and work really well. My local shop sells them, and if you want to talk to him just for info, his name is Steve Collara at Chalmette Sporting goods. 504 271-2538 He sells air rifles also.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Scopes for Air Rifles

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Purchase a scope designed for "air rifles". Hawke scopes are extremely durable, reasonably priced, and work really well.
Conrad,
I could not agree more with your selection of scopes for air rifles. I admire and respect Hawke scopes for air rifles.
What is your opinion of UTG/Leapers scopes?
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pm

I've been using older pellet guns such as the Sheridan pump blue streak .20 cal open sights that I haven no idea how old it is. It's lite and shoots a 14.3 gr pellet at around 650fps, its a great gun!
GFB,
I purchased a 1972 Sheridan "Blue Streak" air rifle since T-Bird started this topic. I will need to refurbish it before I can judge its performance. It will not be ready in a timely manner for this discussion. Even though I have not been able to shoot it yet, I like its light weight and have a good feeling about its potential. I do not have any regrets about the purchase but realize that most people will not buy a rifle that needs repairs.
Call me nostalgic but I want to prove that I can still smoke a HOSP with a vintage, multi pump air rifle. It makes you follow the principle - "One shot, one kill".
Mark.
PMCA Member.

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 pm

I've been using older pellet guns such as the Sheridan pump blue streak .20 cal open sights that I haven no idea how old it is. It's lite and shoots a 14.3 gr pellet at around 650fps, its a great gun!
GFB,
I purchased a 1972 Sheridan "Blue Streak" air rifle since T-Bird started this topic. I will need to refurbish it before I can judge its performance. It will not be ready in a timely manner for this discussion. Even though I have not been able to shoot it yet, I like its light weight and have a good feeling about its potential. I do not have any regrets about the purchase but realize that most people will not buy a rifle that needs repairs.
Call me nostalgic but I want to prove that I can still smoke a HOSP with a vintage, multi pump air rifle. It makes you follow the principle - "One shot, one kill".
I like the way you think. I have a very old Benjamin pump rifle that needs work, but I have no idea where to start. It was my Dad’s rifle when he was a younger man.
Last edited by T-Bird on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Vintage Benjamin Air Rifle

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm

T-Bird,
You cannot tell us that you have possession of a vintage Benjamin air rifle and leave us hanging!!
What vintage, caliber, and model? A picture would precipitate a lot of useful discussion. You might have the perfect air rifle for your needs in your possession.
.177", .22", or BB? Does it work and you only need to clean and lubricate it?
Let's get your Benjie going before the HOSP arrive!
Mark.
PMCA Member.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Re: Vintage Benjamin Air Rifle

Postby T-Bird » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

T-Bird,
You cannot tell us that you have possession of a vintage Benjamin air rifle and leave us hanging!!
What vintage, caliber, and model? A picture would precipitate a lot of useful discussion. You might have the perfect air rifle for your needs in your possession.
.177", .22", or BB? Does it work and you only need to clean and lubricate it?
Let's get your Benjie going before the HOSP arrive!

Well, I thought it was a pellet rifle, but after closer inspection, it turns out it’s a BB.

I’m not sure if it works. The pump handle wont stay in place next to the barrel, but it seems when I pump it a few times it does hold a little air.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Benjamin 340 BB

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm

T-Bird,
You are the proud owner of your Dad's Benjamin Franklin Model 310 .177 cal., 4.5 mm BB smooth bore multi-pump single shot bolt action air rifle. Looks like your Dad took care of it. It does not look molested from any previous repairs. Lots of potential.
On the rear cap of the larger compression tube you will see the 310 model number. With the serial number, it was produced in 1958.
If that rifle were fixed, you will have so much fun with it! Inexpensive to shoot lead or steel BBs. The history of Benjamin air rifles is so cool. Check out Wikipedia site.
Closer range rifle because it is smooth bore but you are lucky that your house is close to the Trendsetter 12. Quiet, so your neighbors will wonder what that sound is.

The barrel is brass so you do not need to worry about cleaning it with patches and the brass barrel will not corrode. A bore brush is unnecessary because it is smooth bore.

Sounds like it needs a seal kit and a pump cup. If you are not a DIY guy, then get Baker Air Guns or Precision Pellet or Mac1 Airguns to refurbish it. I have a smile on my face just thinking about the fun you will have with it.
If DIY kind of guy, then check out the YouTube Playlist for Sheridan "Blue Streak" from NorthWestAirgun. Much of the information is applicable to your Benjamin Franklin Model 310 air rifle. As a minimum you will learn how an air rifle works.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9Ok7liUd6H
Mark.
PMCA Member.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Re: Benjamin 340 BB

Postby T-Bird » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:45 pm

T-Bird,
You are the proud owner of your Dad's Benjamin Franklin Model 310 .177 cal., 4.5 mm BB smooth bore multi-pump single shot bolt action air rifle. Looks like your Dad took care of it. It does not look molested from any previous repairs. Lots of potential.
On the rear cap of the larger compression tube you will see the 310 model number. With the serial number, it was produced in 1958.
If that rifle were fixed, you will have so much fun with it! Inexpensive to shoot lead or steel BBs. The history of Benjamin air rifles is so cool. Check out Wikipedia site.
Closer range rifle because it is smooth bore but you are lucky that your house is close to the Trendsetter 12. Quiet, so your neighbors will wonder what that sound is.

The barrel is brass so you do not need to worry about cleaning it with patches and the brass barrel will not corrode. A bore brush is unnecessary because it is smooth bore.

Sounds like it needs a seal kit and a pump cup. If you are not a DIY guy, then get Baker Air Guns or Precision Pellet or Mac1 Airguns to refurbish it. I have a smile on my face just thinking about the fun you will have with it.
If DIY kind of guy, then check out the YouTube Playlist for Sheridan "Blue Streak" from NorthWestAirgun. Much of the information is applicable to your Benjamin Franklin Model 310 air rifle. As a minimum you will learn how an air rifle works.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9Ok7liUd6H

Right you are! I'll check out your video.

Is this thing accurate enough to take out sparrows? Can I shoot .177 pellets out of this rifle as well? Or only bb’s ?

4th Gen Martin Fan

BBs vs Pellets in Air Rifle

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 pm

T-Bird,
You can shoot pellets in a smoothbore air rifle, but I am not sure that any benefit will occur. Without the rifling to spin the pellet I don't think the pellet will travel any truer than a lead or steel BB.
Do NOT shoot steel BBs in a rifled .177 barrel. The steel BB will erode the rifling in the barrel especially if it is a brass barrel like many of the pneumatic/air rifles - Benjamin, Sheridan, Crosman, ...

I learned recently that .177 BBs were derived from round birdshot that is loaded in a shotgun shell.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Conrad Baker

Re: Scopes for Air Rifles

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Purchase a scope designed for "air rifles". Hawke scopes are extremely durable, reasonably priced, and work really well.
Conrad,
I could not agree more with your selection of scopes for air rifles. I admire and respect Hawke scopes for air rifles.
What is your opinion of UTG/Leapers scopes?
Sorry,
I can't give an opinion on UTG/Leapers, I haven't had a chance to look through or use one. I have a Hawke on my RWS M-34, and a Swarovski Z-5 on my Elk rifle. I have an Eotech 518 on my duty Patrol/SRT m4 rifle, and a Zeiss on my T/C Venture 30/06 deer rifle. My 50 year old Ruger M-77 .270 has the original Leupold Vari-X III, and that's about the end of my scope inventory. I wish I could be more help with info on the UTG, unfortunately I can't offer any info good or bad, sorry.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm

T-bird,
Put up a target about 20 yards away with several 2 inch black dots on it (Black marking pen will make a good dark dot). Shoot several B.Bs at one dot and several pellets at the other, and see which groups the best. Make sure you try to pump it up the same number of times for each shot to try to keep it consistent. That will tell you if either will be sufficient for accuracy to take out the Hosp or Starlings.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:42 pm

T-bird,
Put up a target about 20 yards away with several 2 inch black dots on it (Black marking pen will make a good dark dot). Shoot several B.Bs at one dot and several pellets at the other, and see which groups the best. Make sure you try to pump it up the same number of times for each shot to try to keep it consistent. That will tell you if either will be sufficient for accuracy to take out the Hosp or Starlings.
If I can get it serviced I certainly will.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Copper coated lead BBs vs. Steel BBs

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 am

If you shot a BB gun of any variety as a youngster, you were taught or learned not to shoot steel BBs at a hard target such as a tin can (thin steel coated with tin). The steel BB can ricochet back at you if you hit it just right and stand too close to the target. A soft target like a modern thin aluminum soft drink can is not as worrisome but thicker aluminum on a Trendsetter 12 can ricochet. Do not shoot at the steel pole with a steel BB! That includes taping a thin paper target to the steel pole and shooting at it.
Lead BBs are rare now but have the advantage of flattening on impact and significantly decreasing the risk of ricochet. It should also decrease the risk of penetrating the thicker aluminum of the Trendsetter 12.
I found copper coated lead BBs through Pyramyd Air:
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Exci ... 500ct/1382
They are more expensive but the copper coating should allow you to handle and load them in your Benjamin Franklin Model 310.
I did not know about frangible BBs until I read about these:
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Air_Vent ... 00_ct/1477

Of the current air rifle gunsmiths, Mac1 uses modern PTFE valve gaskets in their "Benjamin Rebuild Kit-Pre78" which should last longer than one lifetime. A grandson will still be using the rifle without a reseal job. I plan on using a Mac1 kit to rebuild my Dad's 1959 Benjamin Franklin 317 air rifle one day. It has been resealed once since 1956 with traditional gaskets but it could stand another reseal.
Many other air rifle gunsmiths use and supply the older gasket materials, lead and rubber o-rings, in their reseal kits.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”