Pellet guns...What do you own or recommend?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Conrad Baker

Re: Pellet guns...What do you own or recommend?

Postby Conrad Baker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:09 am

That's definitely the way to go. If you can get into the Sparrow/Starling elimination game for under $100, that's a great start. You can always move up later on.

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm

The nice thing is almost anyone can handle this pellet rifle and it is extremely easy to pump. It is a little tricky to get the pellet in under the scope but that is about the only negative I could find.

Bear in mind the Daisy 880 is the same basic barrel and gun (even less expensive) but is a cheaper plastic build. Both guns have excellent reviews for accuracy.

I just don't know for sure what I will get beyond 80-100 ft yet, but the accuracy below that with the H&N barracuda pellet I got from the review recommendations is nothing short of amazing for a cheap air rifle. Also is to be noted is do not shoot BBs from the gun if you want to maintain the accuracy as they can ruin the barrel spiral inside for pellet shooting.

Sometimes simple and basic is good. Wish I would have known about this gun a while back. Have a whole gun case of more expensive pellet guns that can not do what this gun can on sparrows. So easy to shoot and the trigger is so smooth to squeeze and fire without losing your target. No kick-back whatsoever.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:37 pm

What about using a pair of tweezers with curved tips to put the pellets into the chamber? Did you get it from Pyramyd Airguns?

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:23 pm

I think they make a pellet pen to help load them. It's not to bad to roll them in though.

I bought everything on Amazon. Read the reviews from Pyramid however.
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:58 am

Also to be noted is, do not shoot BB's from an air rifle if you want to maintain accuracy as the steel BB's will ruin the barrel rifling for accurate pellet shooting.
I studied the Daisy 901 ads on Amazon and was dumbfounded to see that a "Daisy Outdoors Products 901 Kit" is available for the Daisy 901 with one can of pellets and 3 sleeves of BB's! Many buyers will not be aware that if you shoot steel BB's through any rifled barrel, it will ruin the lands and grooves of the rifling whether it is a steel or brass barrel. Lead pellets will have negligible wear on either a steel or brass barrel as long as the air rifle and pellets are kept clean of dirt and grime.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

BumBee

Postby BumBee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Target peny size hole.JPG
(60.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I've used a multi pump, break barrel and Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP).
The multi pump air rifle was too inconsistent and losses power too soon.
The break barrel was consistent enough to do the job. They are full size air rifle
and have good balance. In my crowded hid out, it was just too long for my need.
The PCP Carbine (short barreled air rifle) is awesome. I shot a Webley Raider for
a very long time and used and manual air pump in which it got to be tiresome.
I manage to get an air pump that hooks up to a shop compressor. Shooting this
air rifle got to be fun and more often until I made a mistake of over filling the
rifle air tank. I could not find an air rifle repair shop in the area I live. I decided
to buy a shorter air rifle than the PCP Carbine. I bought a .177 Kral Arms Puncher Breaker Airgun
tuned by Annihilator Airguns. This air rifle allows me to take shots in tight quarters,
hit a target a size of a penny consistently all the way up to 25 yards. For me this is best
insurance, no stray pellets , hit my target.

My recommendations:
By pass the multi pump air rifles
Break Barrel air rifle if you're budget does not allow you to got to a PCP air rifle.
You still have to mount a scope on top of the rifle. Don't skimp on this part.
I mounted a Bug Buster Scope on top of my Kral Puncher Breaker for I use my
air rifle taking rodents out as close as three feet away.

Most of all, do some research.
Last edited by BumBee on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 66 Pairs in 2017
PM Mentor

Postby Jeff Robinson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Great choices and info! I personally went with the RWS 34 (Diana, break-barrrel) matched with RWS Superdome .22 pellets - takes care of most things unwanted around the yard and PM housing. RWS is German made quality.

The .177 is sufficient if shooting only birds at short range.

As others said, don't skimp on the scope and mount - particularly able to handle the heavy spring action on break barrels.
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”