Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Stainless steel wire rope (cable) for Trio Winch System

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am

I searched and found this topic about stainless steel wire rope (commonly called cable) for the Trio Winch System:
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... io#p202249
This cable is the same for the Trio Winch System used on the Trio Castle PMC-24, Trio-Wade House TW-12, MSS12W, MSS8W, and TM12W models.
Matt F. discusses the use of the original 1/16" stainless steel cable that was/is provided with the Trio Winch System vs. changing to 3/32" stainless steel cable.
Matt F. is primarily concerned with the 3/32" cable filling up the spool of the Trio Winch. I don't know the answer to his concern but the only way to see if it will work would be to buy 3/32" stainless steel uncoated 7x7 construction wire rope and see how it will fit. I am going to Home Depot today to see if it is available as the Everbilt 3/32" Stainless Steel Uncoated Wire Rope Model #810060 Store SKU #453066.
I respect the time, experience, knowledge, and expertise that Matt F. has put into Trio products.

I wonder if the August 14, 2012 post by DornCounty about Matt F., "you may call him Trio Jedi. :lol: " was the beginning of the Trio Jedi legacy!
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Postby Whippy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:52 am

4th Gen,

I'll go to HD and look at the wire rope. Having had my hands on the winch, I am interested to see if the 3/32 will fill it up so I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work then I go to the smaller 1/16 that was on there before and have the 3/32 for another application later down the road.

The wire rope that came with the house rusted and rotted off. Last year the house fell down the pole because the wire roped rusted and broke. I tied it back together and hoisted the house back up. Now I have the opportunity to set it all back up and in better shape.

Thanks for the help. Will continue to update on the progress and will let you know how the 3/32 works out.

Coolwhips.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Trio Winch Cable Loop and Crimps

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 pm

If the cable with loop was still attached to the bottom of your TW-12 then you know to get the necessary crimps to make the loop:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /205883069
I use a Vise Grip locking pliers to crimp the ferrules.
Please let us know how it works out because many Trio Jedi need this information. A picture of the completed loop with crimps would be helpful for others performing this cable replacement. Ten + years from now we may need to reference your post to help someone else!

Be aware that the stainless steel wire rope will unravel without a crimp on the end of the loop and masking tape on the end that will go on the winch spool. The individual wire strands are like needles and hurt when you get poked with them. Experience teaches!
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: Trio Winch Cable Loop and Crimps

Postby Whippy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm

If the cable with loop was still attached to the bottom of your TW-12 then you know to get the necessary crimps to make the loop:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /205883069
I use a Vise Grip locking pliers to crimp the ferrules.
Please let us know how it works out because many Trio Jedi need this information. A picture of the completed loop with crimps would be helpful for others performing this cable replacement. Ten + years from now we may need to reference your post to help someone else!

Be aware that the stainless steel wire rope will unravel without a crimp on the end of the loop and masking tape on the end that will go on the winch spool. The individual wire strands are like needles and hurt when you get poked with them. Experience teaches!
I have a crimping tool and crimps as I'm used to working with the wire rope on other projects. It is true that it hurts like hell when you get poked with a loose strand. I will take pictures and post at each stage of rebuild as requested. I'm always up to helping others as much as possible whether it's from my success or mistakes.

A quick question for you though.

Have you, or do you know, if any one has ever attached gourds to the bottom four corners of their Trio? I just bought 6 more Troyer Horizontals for my gourd rack and will have several left over gourds. One day I plan to install a system on my ranch and use my left over gourds for that but until I do, I'm tinkering with the idea of adding the gourds to the bottom of the Trio. Not sure it's a good idea or not but I don't have room for another gourd rack system in my yard and thought the 4 extra cavities might be attractive. I only had 4 pair last year in my gourds and if the birds return to the Trio I'll have 6 pairs total. That leaves 4 cavities in the Trio available and 12 cavities on the gourd rack available. The extra 4 gourds on the Trio may not be necessary at this point. Just thinking and curious.

Coolwhips.

4th Gen Martin Fan

THG under Trio Wade Martin House

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Many people have added gourds under their Trio houses. I would think it is possible since the Trio Wade house has a largerdiameter, heavier duty pole from the Trio Castle.
If you search the PMCA Forum there will many references to adding gourds under Trio martin houses.
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... se#p284506
Many people strengthen the bottom floor with braces under the floor to take stress off the thin aluminum floors of Trio houses. Others also add an inner pole inside their Trio pole to strengthen the pole from being bent under a high wind. I will never forget the shear winds that downed commercial airliners in the late 80s in the DFW area.
I have an inner pole in the pole for the Trio Grandma (MSS8W) at my office. It extends to the joint between the top and middle pole. If you can find a Schedule 40 pipe that will fit inside at least the bottom half of your TW-12 pole it would be a good idea with or without the gourds under the house. Especially with the gourds.
Will the perch rods under your Trio Wade interfere with gourds?
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Postby Whippy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:14 pm

4th Gen,

I am going to get the Trio up and running then look at the possibility of adding gourds to it for next year. I feel if I rush it this year so close to arrival time, I may end up screwing things up. I can see where there will be a need to reinforce the floor in order to add gourds. They may hang too low and interfere with the perch. In any case. I'll put this idea on the shelf for next year. I have 24 cavities as it is now and only 6 known pair chances this year with the hopes of new arrivals and returning ASY birds that were SY birds last year.

I got the 3/32 wire rope and added it to the house. I haven't run the wire into the pully system yet nor have I wound it up on the real of the winch since I don't have the post planted yet. I'm planting that tomorrow. Once it is planted I'll put the house up and run the cable.

I have pictures of what I've done so far and am thinking about creating a new thread on how I moved and refurbished this unit. I'm going to order more nest trays as I only have 6. I would like to have 12 since the babies will be moving from room to room. I might even order some new doors. The Trio is real good shape and I am impressed with its construction.

Coolwhips

4th Gen Martin Fan

1/16" vs. 3/32" Trio Winch Cable

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm

I just got back from Home Depot.
My final conclusion is either 1/16" or 3/32" stainless steel uncoated 7x7 wire rope will work on a Trio Winch System. There is more than enough room on the spool of a Trio Winch System to accommodate 23 feet of 3/32" wire rope. The spool base is large enough so the 3/32" wire rope will not kink and everywhere the cable runs through the house will accommodate the 3/32" cable.
When I saw that the 1/16" wire rope has a working load limit of 96 lbs., I decided to stick with the 1/16" cable. None of my houses including a Trio Castle have ever had a failure with the original 1/16" stainless steel cable.
If I weigh down a Trio house with gourds, then I will change to 3/32" cable. But I suspect the pole will fail and bend over before even the 1/16" cable fails.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

4th Gen Martin Fan

New Thread on Moving and Refurbishing Trio Wade will be Great!

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Coolwhips,
You are officially a Trio Jedi. Welcome and thank you for your wisdom and understanding.
A new thread on moving and refurbishing your Trio Wade will be an excellent addition.
May the Trio Force be with You.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: New Thread on Moving and Refurbishing Trio Wade will be Great!

Postby Whippy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Coolwhips,
You are officially a Trio Jedi. Welcome and thank you for your wisdom and understanding.
A new thread on moving and refurbishing your Trio Wade will be an excellent addition.
May the Trio Force be with You.
Thanks, 4th Gen. I am honored.

There's a lot left to do with the Trio so I am continuing to be educated. Looking forward to creating the thread in the next few days as I continue to work on it.

Coolwhips

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”